Flix Picks: Adult animated series on Netflix instant streaming

Even though cartoons seem to be a field dominated by the youngest generation, grown-ups like to have fun too. Some of the best adult series out there are animated, providing endless opportunities to be unique. So sit back, relax and indulge in the best — and most bizarre — adult animated shows that Netflix Instant Streaming has to offer.

Archer

“Archer” is set around International Secret Intelligence Service employees who also happen to be a group of despicable — yet entertaining — individuals. The show focuses on Sterling Archer, portrayed by prominent voice-actor H. Jon Benjamin, and the problems his terrible life decisions create.

Even though the cartoon is based on spies and provides the show with tons of unique potential, the laughing points come from clever commentary and office humor. While early “James Bond” influences it, “Archer”’s spy themes aren’t what make it relatable to viewers. Yes, the action sequences are attention grabbing, but the show leads back to making jokes about getting ants in the office.

After four seasons of “Archer,” season five has started a new chapter “Archer Vice,” which follows the same characters' lives once their headquarters are shut down.

“Archer” may come off at first as something you’ve seen before, but it is a rare find. Incorporating wordplay with excellent character dynamics, this show will get you hooked from the get-go.

Robot Chicken

Aside from being one of the only stop-motion animation adult comedy series, “Robot Chicken” is one of Adult Swim’s greatest hits. It’s not very often you find a TV show that uses clay figures and toys as a way to be hilariously inappropriate.

While they’re only 11 to 12 minutes long, every episode is packed with a ton of commentary. With the unique style in “Robot Chicken" they have the opportunity to make the show extremely creative — and co-writers Seth Green and Matthew Senreich do just that. Episodes are full of parody advertisements, timely references and cracks at other programs.

If you are looking for anything more than a series of haphazard jokes, “Robot Chicken” probably isn’t for you. Although it comes off as incredibly bizarre, if you head into an episode expecting something strange, it’s easy to go along with the sketch-style parodies.

Even though there are seven seasons in total, only the first two seasons of “Robot Chicken” are available on Netflix Instant Streaming. Even though it was a shot in the dark starting out, “Robot Chicken” has turned into a huge success and it’s still growing.

Futurama

Even after it ran for seven seasons on two different major networks, "Futurama" fans are still mourning the show’s cancellation in 2013.

Based around a pizza delivery boy who was frozen for a millennium, "Futurama" is one of the most creative cartoons to hit TV. The show takes advantage of the endless possibilities that a distant future offers.

“Futurama” is a combination of everything someone looks for in a comedy. With plenty of puns and quick references, the series dives into parodying national issues and carrying on long-term jokes that act as a reward to dedicated viewers.

As a product of Matt Groening, creator of “The Simpsons,” it’s obvious that the shows are related, but distant cousins rather than close siblings. The comedy themes in the series are related, but “Futurama” takes a more creative spin than just focusing on a suburban family.

Anyone can get a few laughs from an episode here or there, but those who took the time to watch “Futurama” and get to know the characters are the ones who appreciate the show for what it truly is. While its success and writing creativity ebbs and flows throughout the seasons, "Futurama" is a work of love from start to finish.