SC Pride 2014: 25 years of progress

The sun finally came out on Saturday, and with it came rainbow flags, banners and clothing. Columbia's 25th annual S.C. Pride Festival kicked off with a noon parade beginning on one end of Main Street, continuing down Sumter and ending in front of the State House.

Columbia native Mara Cowen, a first-year biological studies student, carried the lead banner for this Saturday's parade after making a friend at last year's festival.

“I carried the banner for Young Democrats last year, and I met this woman who is a cancer survivor.  I think it's relapsed and she has it again,” Cowen said.   “She's lead the parade for 15 years — I met her last year and carried [the banner]  with her.  I ran into her this morning, and she said, 'Do you want to lead the parade with me again?'”

Guests like Cowen who have attended the festival over the years are noticing significant progress, with an increase in overall attendance and a decrease in protestors.

Pride events have been growing in Columbia with involvement and support from USC undergraduates and the overall youth culture of the city, creating a thriving, symbiotic relationship.  According to Ben Aaron, third-year computer science and mathematics student and LGBT supporter,  the city is proving privy to the currents of change.

“It shows how forward-thinking you are, and it opens you up to experiences you might not have had otherwise,” Aaron said.  “I think that's what college and the undergraduate experience is supposed to be about. It's about expanding horizons and doing things that maybe, when you graduate, you won't be able to do. I think Pride is one of those things.”

All signs are indicating increased openness, freedom and overall optimism amongst the local LGBT community. 

Though South Carolina Pride is finally getting its long-awaited day in the sun, it has had to come a long way over its 25-year history. This Saturday was Columbia resident John Dawkins ' 24th consecutive attendance to the Pride festival, and he has noticed an emphasis on the cultural aspect of the festival as it has changed over the years.

“It's a lot more family friendly and a lot less political,” Dawkins said, who attended his second Pride festival with his fiancé. “It's really exciting for me to bring him here for that.”

Dawkins  worked for a number of political organizations centered around LGBT rights, including  South Carolina Pride, South Carolina Equality and nonprofit group Stand Out.  While past festivals might have been more political, this year's attendants reveled in the sense of harmony and empowerment in the community.

Despite the smiling faces and excitement, Dawkins feels that it still takes a great deal of courage to make it out to the festival.

“I think for a lot of people, this is South Carolina, so this is a huge step to make that step out,” he said. “The thing for me that is really cool is watching the youth. Watching the youth come out and really accept themselves ... I've worked in this realm for years politically and it's great to see that.”

Thrilled with the turnout amongst the younger generation, Dawkins  said feels it's important that all kinds of people make their presence and encouragement felt.

“I think it's good for anybody.  Especially if you're LGBT youth, come out and express yourself,” Dawkins said. “Be who you are. Our allies, its very important for them to be out to show support but also to experience other realms of culture and other people.”