Column: Student participation key to classroom atmosphere

Being a junior, I’ve taken quite a few classes at USC. Both online and in person, they’ve ranged from the general core requirements, like math, science and English, to courses specific to my major, such as Finance 363. One disappointing theme has endured throughout all of these classes, however, and that is an overall lack of student participation. I’ve found that in a class of 30 people, you’re lucky to find five students who will regularly contribute their thoughts and ideas.

I find this phenomenon quite troubling, for it makes class discussions difficult, and students who do participate feel as if their contributions are not valued. From my experience in a public speaking class, I can confidently say that I better remembered and appreciated the students who questioned my speeches, challenged my reasoning and otherwise openly disagreed with me more than I did the students who just sat there in silence. Class discussions can be some of the most interesting parts of the college experience, however, they require input to be successful. Many dismiss them as being unimportant or just for people who like to hear the sounds of their own voices; however, nothing could be further from the truth.

Class discussions are a great way of gathering knowledge from other people in ways that wouldn’t otherwise be possible or convenient. Many professors, such as management science professor Robert Courtney, have impressive backgrounds in business and the private sector, and are practically begging for students to ask them about it. Class discussions are a great way to sharpen up on your debate skills before you enter the workforce and have to defend yourself in high-stakes environments like interviews, board meetings and performance reviews. It is better to practice your communication skills now in a low-risk environment than to try to do so when there is more on the line.

There are a variety of possible explanations for this phenomenon. Some may be uninterested; some may think that they already know the material, while yet others may simply be too shy or think they are too cool to participate. With that said, I don’t think that any of these are compelling reasons to refrain from class discussion. Those who are uninterested should ask themselves a very basic question: what are you doing here? For the students who think that they already know the material, it never hurts to go over it again, and doing so may help a fellow student better understand it. And for those who are too shy, keep in mind what longtime University of South Carolina mathematics professor Don Jordan always asked his students “Can you remember a question someone asked in class last semester?” and “You should ask questions because you’re paying tuition.” The point is that you’re paying for the right to ask questions, and nobody remembers what questions a fellow student asks in class, however embarrassed they may feel about it at the time. While college is a tremendous experience with a unique collection of bright minds, to get the most out of it you have to take the initiative by asking questions and being an active participant in discussion.