In Brief: February 18, 2015

Vice President Joe Biden visits Columbia on Wednesday

Vice President Joe Biden will visit Columbia Wednesday, The State reported.

Columbia is one of the three stops he and U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx will make this week in the Carolinas as part of the Transportation Department’s “Grow America” tour.

At 1:30 p.m., Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin will join Biden and Foxx at Owen Steel for the tour’s event. The event is designed to make a case for an increase in federal spending on transportation infrastructure.

Biden and Foxx will also stop in Charleston and Charlotte.

Biden is eyeing the Democratic presidential bid in the 2016 election, but South Carolina Democratic officials said he has not scheduled any political events during his trip through the state.

— Madeleine Collins, Assistant News Editor

Celebrities show support to keep SC State open

Hirut Kollech, a senior at South Carolina State University, went to New York City to gain supporters for SC State University, WCSC reported.

At a weekend NBA All-Star Game, Kollech gave a 15-second speech to get celebrities to join the cause in keeping SC State open.

Actor and comedian Anthony Anderson and ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith, showed their support for the university.

Both Anderson and Smith attended historically black colleges and did not hesitate to show their support for SC State by taking photos with signs saying #SAVESCSTATE.

Kollech got the idea from her mother, an SC State alumnae. 

Man accused of biting woman's nose off face attempted murder charges

A man accused of biting off a woman’s nose last week now faces attempted murder charges, The State reported.

Police were called to the Sandy Monkey Bar and Grill in Murrells Inlet on Feb. 8 after a reported shooting.

While no one was shot, police found a 35-year-old woman who was bleeding heavily. Christopher Brian Campbell had assaulted her in the parking lot of the bar.

He verbally expressed his intent to kill the woman before choking her, police said. The attack left bruises on the woman, and Campbell’s bite left “permanent disfigurement” on the woman’s face, according to police.

Campbell faces charges of attempted murder, forgery, financial transaction card theft and resisting arrest.

Campbell is being held at J. Reuben Long Detention Center awaiting a bond hearing.