Column: Lindsey Graham represents responsible decision

In 2016, the Republican Party will have a chance to turn a corner and nominate a legitimate bipartisan candidate with conservative tendencies and an ability to get things done in Washington. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham represents the responsible decision, but he faces tough opposition from the Bush dynasty.

The argument against Graham is that he is not conservative enough to generate the financial backing of the traditional GOP money machines, and that Jeb Bush’s established political mechanisms will easily win him the nomination.

Let’s remember that former President George W. Bush left the White House in 2008 with the lowest approval rating on record in presidential history (22 percent). Therefore, it’s conceivable that voters would be reluctant to support a third Bush. It would prudent for the Republican Party to nominate a candidate with support from both sides of the aisle, while appealing to the beliefs of traditional conservative supporters.

Sen. Graham has strong bipartisan appeal on the issues of immigration and education, with platforms more palatable than Jeb Bush’s financially irresponsible adherence to the Common Core programs.

Graham’s strongest platform is his foreign policy. As the Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Foreign Affairs Appropriations, Sen. Graham has become a well-respected mind on foreign policy in Washington. In this role, he’s demonstrated his leadership and understanding of regulating foreign affairs.

Doubters say that Graham is unable to secure the right-wing super-PACs that pour billions into GOP presidential races, but he is circumventing that issue. Working with John McCain, Graham has held luncheons with GOP donors and is garnering support for his candidacy without bending to the PACs. On Tuesday, he held a luncheon with these potential supporters. Sheldon Adelson, a casino magnate billionaire and GOP supporter, was in attendance and is favorable to Sen. Graham’s opposition to online gambling. Graham’s connections in Washington and ability to appeal to donors will support his image as a dark horse candidate who can get things done.

Sen. Graham should have no problem winning the South Carolina primary and could take that momentum all the way to the GOP convention. Lest we forget, in 2008, then-Senator Obama was considered a long shot from the deeply blue state of Illinois. He was able to carry his long-shot streak all the way to the White House.

If Sen. Graham is not the 2016 GOP nominee, it’s not because he is not the right fit, nor that he is unqualified. If he were to go unselected, it would simply be because the GOP is set on nominating an unpopular, traditional right-wing candidate too entrenched in partisan politics for Washington.