Letter: Protecting citizens important

We have the duty to protect our neighborhoods and communities. Doing what we need to do to keep prospering businesses is a priority. Doing what we need to do to maintain good schools is a main concern. Lastly, doing what we need to do to ensure a peaceful place of worship should be an emphasis, too. 

The policy of stop and frisk in New York City is legal and it should be held in high consideration. In many schools across the country, people go through metal detectors to enter.In a lot of government buildings you have to go through them. At some athletic events, you’re patted down and your belongings are searched. When our young people go to bars or clubs they're examined to ensure they're not carrying a weapon. So what makes it wrong for police to have safety checks on our government streets? It is happening in nearly every other place in our government and it keeps us safe.

I know a lot of people around the country have their qualms about the police forces around them. However, those unfortunate incidents that happened with unarmed people were dealt with in the proper manner. The police officers involved were terminated and lost their careers. Additionally, some were evaluated in the court of law. Yet, we still don't understand as citizens that over 99 percent of cops don't make fatal mistakes that are detrimental to their careers or their communities. The less than one percent that do are often fired for their irresponsibility of force and contravention of their department's code of conduct.

But, one killing of an unarmed citizen is too much. Hence, we need to ensure that people with badges take the appropriate steps to alleviate situations. The first resort shouldn't be their firearms. It should be words to request the citizen to stop what they're doing that would escalate the situation. Then, if that doesn't work there could be a use of nonviolent force to suppress the situation. Next, they could draw a firearm to demand that the citizen discontinue their actions. Pulling the trigger of a firearm should be the last resort for a citizen that you don't know is armed or Jet Li. There are so many of our citizens that are dying from gunshots and they're unarmed. I think if there are more intense situational scenarios during training for our police we will reduce the amount of times this happens to zilch.