Updated: Pride Week Parade to transform Columbia streets into rainbow roads

To aid in the push for LGBTQ acceptance and love, South Carolina Pride is hosting the 26th annual Pride Parade down Main and Gervais streets on Oct. 24 at noon. The aim of the parade according to the organization's website is to "help us support, celebrate, educate, and advocate for the LGBTQ community of South Carolina.”

SC Pride, the oldest and most popular pride event in the state, kicked off this week hosting events to help make Columbia's LGBTQ community more visible. The parade is one of many LGBTQ-supportive events that took place earlier this week — including Pride Day at the SC State Fair and a "Drag Tea" drag show at Julep's Bistro.

Those wanting to march in the parade can apply, but anyone can watch the procession. All spectators of the parade will be given an opportunity to donate money to SC Pride. The marchers accepting donations will carry a giant rainbow flag during the parade while floats travel down the parade route.

While the university is not officially a sponsor of the parade, many are excited for this big event because they see it as a public way to support LGBTQ students at USC. 

“There are so many people who struggle with being closeted all the way from when they realize their sexuality and up through high school, and they see college as an opportunity to break away from that and be open about who they are,” first-year undeclared student Samantha Culver said. “I think it’s amazing that they have that chance here.”

With this weekend being fall break, many students are disappointed they will be back home and will have to miss the event.

“I am genuinely sad that I will be in Charlotte this weekend and subsequently won’t be here for Pride,” Culver said.

Other students, including first-year nursing student Bailey Colquitt, are not too torn up about missing this weekend’s event.

“It’s not something I would go to and physically be there to support,” Colquitt said. “But I think they should be able to express their beliefs all day long.”

First-year exercise science student Caroline Bowen shared a similar opinion.

“From my personal values and based off of how I was raised, I think it’s wrong. But I think we should all have the same opportunities. I still think we are all human and nobody should be discriminated against,” Bowen said when asked about her opinion on homosexuality.

This weekend's parade will shed light on the triumphs of the LGBTQ community and will also help raise money for SC Pride so that they can continue their efforts and the annual Pride Parade.

When asked about the importance of the parade, first-year experimental psychology student Ansley Potter thinks it’s vital for the growth of tolerance.

“I think it’s important to spread acceptance for the gay community,” Potter said.

The organization will host a kick-off party on Thursday, Oct. 22, and a “Pre-Party” and “Pre-Party After Party" to follow on Friday, Oct. 23. For more information, log on to scpride.org.

Correction: A previous version of this story said that SC Equality sponsored the Pride parade. SC Pride hosts the parade. Additionally, the story implied that the University of South Carolina was an official sponsor of the event. It is not. The Daily Gamecock regrets the errors.