Fraternity council focuses on change, events

During Monday’s Fraternity Council meeting, the council voted to pass or veto proposed changes made to the Council by-laws. The end vote was unanimous in favor of the changes. Although the changes proposed were discussed in previous meetings and sent out to council members prior to voting, the council was given a brief summary of the changes before voting began.

The majority of the by-law changes were basic formatting modifications and clarifications of aspects in the by-laws that might not have made sense or needed to be updated. President of Sigma Chi Fraternity John Craver, who took part in the rewriting of the by-laws, was pleased with the unanimous vote.

“There really wasn’t much in way of substantive changes,” Craver said. “But, I’m really happy that the entirety of the Fraternity Council agreed that we needed to have a document that made sense and was easy to read — as opposed to hodgepodge of a decade of minor changes.”

Other topics for discussion on the agenda included upcoming changes to the Fraternity Council constitution that are currently in the works. Fraternity Council President Will McCutchen says that efforts are being made to create a more inclusive document that represents more than just umbrella organizations governed by the council.

“We are really going to start digging into our constitution and making some pretty massive overhauls to it,” McCutchen said. “We’re trying to make sure that the constitution reflects the fact that we govern multiple bodies and not just IFC.”

USC’s Fraternity and Sorority Councils will be hosting the third annual “Not So Thirsty Thursday” benefit concert on Thursday from 7:30 to 10 p.m. at the Greene Street fields. Admission is $5 and proceeds will go the Flood Relief.