Online Exclusive: Trump and Clinton keep control on Super Tuesday

Republican and Democratic frontrunners Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton emerged still in the driver's seat coming out of the first Super Tuesday of the 2016 election cycle. Trump won 7 of 11 states, and Clinton won seven of 11 states up for grabs plus American Samoa. 

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz won his home state, its neighbor Oklahoma and Alaska, and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio won Minnesota. The two are locked in a tight battle for second place in the race for the Republican nomination.

Cruz's wins helped to give him a boost in the delegate count over Rubio, but Trump still maintains a decent lead in delegates. 

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders carried his home state by a large margin and also carried Oklahoma, Colorado and Minnesota. Despite these wins, Clinton's big margins of victory in the so-called "SEC Primaries" provided a major firewall that put the night squarely in her column. Six of Clinton's seven wins came by at least 30 percent. 

Clinton also maintained her solid lead in delegates, adding more than 300 delegates to her already sizable lead over Sanders.

Many other states will also head to the polls in coming days for their states' respective primaries and caucuses. Republicans will decide in Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine and Puerto Rico on March 5 and 6. Democrats will also vote in Kansas, Louisiana and Maine as well as Nebraska.