Career, S.E.T. fairs open doors for students, alumni

USC students and alumni, eager to discuss their future with potential employers, gathered at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center for the Career Fest and the Science, Engineering and Technology Fair on Tuesday.

While the Career Fest was geared toward non-technical fields, the S.E.T Fair was focused on the science, technology and engineering fields. Although each section focused on a different discipline, one aspect remained constant: students’ opportunity to network and receive information from potential employers.

“We talked about what they were looking for, how I can improve myself, what I was already qualified for, and sometimes they would offer to interview me or keep me in mind for part-time positions before they get full-time employees,” said Linda Friendly, a fourth-year chemical engineering student.

Over 200 employers filled the convention center to discuss internship, co-op and full-time job opportunities with students. Employers offered a wide range of opportunities, both local and national, and welcomed students of all majors.

“We're not looking for just business or just engineering," said Justin Crook, Kohl’s Assistant Store Manager and USC alumnus. “We’re just looking for people that can be strong leaders and that really just want to drive the business.”

Crook also emphasized that USC applicants seem well-prepared for the job market.

“The professors or the staff or the faculty really prepare these students to go into the career field, and they are teaching them what we are looking for,” said Crook of the numerous quality applicants to which they have talked.

After attending the fairs, students should, “work through the Handshake system to sign up for interviews and confirm next steps with employers. Sending a message to employer representatives that students met with at the fairs can be effective in confirming interest and in setting up next steps in the process of landing a job or internship,” said Thomas Halasz, Career Center director.

The Career Center encouraged students and employers to use #HireAGamecock for promotion of this event on social media.