Behind enemy lines: 5 questions with Tennessee sports editor Trenton Duffer

Ahead of Saturday's matchup with Tennessee, managing editor Adam Orfinger got to talk with Trenton Duffer, sports editor for Tennessee's The Daily Beacon, to get the Vols' thoughts as they take on South Carolina.

TDG: Before last week's bye, Tennessee was trounced at home by Alabama, losing by 39 and effectively ending any chance at reaching the College Football Playoff. How has the team responded to that loss, especially since it came after an overtime defeat against Texas A&M?

TD: Tennessee has kind of chalked that one up as a bad loss and has moved on. I'm not one to make excuses for the team, but injuries really hurt them against Alabama. If the Vols were at full strength, they would have had a much better chance. I still don't think they would have won, but they would have played a lot better. The Texas A&M game was one where I think the Vols just ran out of magic. Injuries finally caught up to them, and Alabama really showed it last weekend. And I wouldn't say Tennessee is completely eliminated from the CFP. If Alabama loses to a team between now and the title game and the Vols beat the Tide, then Tennessee would get in over the Tide. Of course, Tennessee needs A LOT of help. But I wouldn't count them completely out just yet.

TDG: The Vols have struggled with inferior competition this season, going into overtime against Appalachian State and failing to put away Ohio. They'll certainly be favored in Saturday's game, but how will the Vols be able to avoid playing down to a weaker opponent?

TD: I've always said that the Vols play to the level of their competition. If their competition is bad, they play badly. If their competition is good, they play well (besides the Alabama game that, again, I believe injuries played a huge part in). Tennessee can't be careless in this game. Muschamp has a decent defense at SC, but his offense has struggled. But with the emergence of this new freshman QB, who knows? Tennessee has to avoid being careless this week. South Carolina would like nothing more than ruining the Vols' championship hopes.

TDG: Some people say this Tennessee team isn't that good, pointing to fluky decisive plays against Appalachian State and Georgia, teams that are far off the elite level. Is this team a disappointment, considering how high the expectations were in August?

TD: This team is far from being a disappointment. A lot of people, myself included, had the Vols losing at least one of the games against Alabama and Texas A&M. Most had them losing both games. Georgia was a miracle in every sense of the word. Appalachian State was a surprise. Ohio had a lot of good matchups on the Vols. And Virginia Tech just couldn't hang late. And you can't really just put the Vols in the back of your mind and think it'll be a walk in the park. Because that's when they make you pay.

TDG: While there are some talented players on the Volunteer defense, the unit has allowed 29.9 points per game this season, ranking No. 82 in the nation. South Carolina's offense looked rejuvenated last week under Jake Bentley. Should Tennessee fans be concerned about the Gamecock offense?

TD: Jake Bentley looked good, but it was against Massachusetts. UMass has allowed 33.4 points this season, which ranks No. 103 in the nation. UMass doesn't have near the talent that Tennessee has. But at the same time, a new QB coming in can really change things. Look at the Tennessee-Alabama game in 2014. Tennessee was losing 27-0 in the second quarter, and then Josh Dobbs came in and finished with 192 passing yards and two touchdowns. The Vols only lost that game 34-20. Bentley may come in and really shock the Vols. But he also may come in and flop. There should be a sense of urgency, but it's not time to worry just yet.

TDG: Fill in the blanks: Tennessee will win this game if ___________________. South Carolina will in this game if ___________________.

TD: Tennessee wins this game if they go out and handle business early. Constantly trying to play catch-up is eventually going to come back and bite the Vols, much like it did against A&M. Tennessee has to put this game out of reach early to win. South Carolina wins this game if they slow Tennessee's tempo and control the play clock. Tennessee is quick and extremely well-conditioned. If the Gamecocks can hold on to the ball for some long drives that end in touchdowns, they'll put the final "disaster" stamp on Tennessee's season.

My prediction for this game is Tennessee 34, South Carolina 16. I like the Vols pulling away late thanks to getting a large majority of their injured playmakers coming back. The Gamecocks don't have the offensive pieces or the consistency to hang with the Vols.