Fraternity to bring children gifts

Pi Kappa Alpha program supports underprivileged students with donations

Pi Kappa Alpha will host its fourth annual campus-wide gift wrapping event, Pike Presents, at its house in the Greek Village on Wednesday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m.

Each year, the brothers of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity select a local elementary school to donate hundreds of presents to during the holiday season. This year’s chosen school, Carver-Lyon Elementary, is located in the Richland One School District. The majority of the students attending Carver-Lyon live below the poverty line, which is why Pi Kappa Alpha chose to donate to them.

“We want to be able to give underprivileged kids in the area presents for Christmas that they might not otherwise receive,” said J.W. Brunson, Pi Kappa Alpha’s public relations chairman.

The idea for Pike Presents began when the fraternity’s nationals contacted them a few years ago. The philanthropy has proven to be successful at other schools and Pi Kappa Alpha’s national board wanted to test it out at USC, according to Jared Nelms, a third-year finance and economics student.

“Our philanthropy is really important during this time of year,” said Cory Turmelle, Pike’s philanthropy chairman and third-year finance and marketing student. “The holiday season is almost here and it is in this time that we cannot forget those less fortunate than us.”

In addition to delivering the presents to the children, the wrapping party is something that the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha look forward to every year. Everyone is encouraged to attend since a lot of help will be needed. This year, Pi Kappa Alpha estimates they will be wrapping more than 300 presents.

“It’s a lot of fun, and we always have a great turnout,” Turmelle said. “The wrapping party is complete with music, cookies, eggnog and everything needed to get us in the holiday spirit.”

If students cannot participate in the actual wrapping party, they are encouraged to donate presents. Students can call Pike’s philanthropy chairman at 603-714-0539 with questions about donations or present drop-offs. Gifts should be bought for elementary-aged children and can be dropped off at the Pi Kappa Alpha house at any time. Students can also go with the brothers to donate the gifts to the students of Carver-Lyon on Dec. 3.

“The best part of Pike Presents is actually seeing the children open the gifts. We bring Cocky along and one of our brothers dresses up like Santa Claus. It really brightens up the children’s holiday,” said Nelms, last year’s philanthropy chairman.

The fraternity has a budget allotted for the purchasing of gifts for the children, which takes place mostly at Toys“R”Us. Each student is given at least one $10 gift and possibly more depending on donations.

“Last year we went to R. Earle Davis Elementary and raised around $6,000 - $7,000, which we used to purchase over 600 presents for the kids at the school,” said Brunson, a fourth-year international business student.

Pike Presents is sponsored by Papa John’s and Coca-Cola, and this has allowed the event to gain even more support. Boxes where people can donate toys are located in all local Papa John’s locations, and talk of providing the donators with discounts is in the works, Brunson said. The sponsors also provide food and drinks to the children on the day they receive their presents, which makes the event even more memorable.

A percent night will be held Tuesday, Nov. 30 at Qdoba Mexican Grill in Five Points to raise money for to Carver-Lyon Elementary. Flyers, which must be presented at the restaurant to count toward the cause, are located in Russell House and the Pi Kappa Alpha house in the Greek Village.