Ticket or no, get excited for game

Whether driving to Atlanta or local bar, savor this unprecedented sports event

StephenBarryWebThe SEC Championship has finally arrived. We are a mere four days away from doing something that no South Carolina Gamecock football team has ever done: play for the SEC title. We have endured all the heartbreak and trials. We have seen victorious upsets and commanding wins over strong teams. In short, we have been through the highs and lows that are Carolina football.

Now, I have not endured as many years of this as some of those men and women I met at the Clemson game, but I am a Carolina Gamecock, and I understand how much this really means for not only our university but the great state of South Carolina as well.

I am one of around 7,000 students who requested, but did not get a student ticket to the championship game, and I hate the way that tickets were allotted by the school — especially after an ESPN corespondent ranked our student section as one of the top 10 in the nation in September. But we ticketless students can definitely show our support Saturday in a variety of ways.

For one, if you have a car and are not planning on doing any schoolwork Saturday, which I can guarantee is about 95 percent of us, would you please don your Garnet attire, hop in your car with four friends and drive to Atlanta. The fact that we can take Atlanta over just by being there and supporting the team with our presence will make all the difference we need to get as many people down there as humanly possible, even if we cannot all be in the Georgia Dome to physically see our Gamecocks play.

If you are staying in Columbia, get down to a local sports bar and watch the game. I have a feeling you are going to want to surround yourself with as many Gamecocks as possible after this one. Columbia will definitely be the place to be on Saturday, other than Atlanta of course — because really, Auburn? That’s a laugh. Auburn and Clemson are the same school, except one is in South Carolina and one is in Alabama; one has royal blue and the other has purple — and one is admittedly better at football.

Wherever you are, whether you are in the Georgia Dome, tailgating right outside, at a sports bar in Columbia or back at your house, you need to let ’em all hear you. We need to let everyone know that the Carolina Gamecocks are finally here and we will not fall, because come hell or high water, this is our year to bring it back to Columbia.