In our opinion: Give USC funding or drop regulations

Fine. We accept that reality. The state doesn't have money.

It's extremely disappointing that South Carolina's legislature funds and supports higher education less than every other state in the Southeast, considering we have the "Corridor of Shame," staggering unemployment rates and rampant illiteracy.

But once again, we accept the fact that higher education will likely never see great support from the legislature.

We've said it before, and we'll say it again: Higher education is the long-term solution to these problems.

What is absolutely appalling is this: Though legislators refuse to support public South Carolina colleges, they are more than happy to consider regulating them.

Legislators will likely consider a cap on tuition and out-of-state students at public universities.

What a joke.

The General Assembly funds approximately 10 percent of USC's budget, meaning the university is essentially private. That means it's responsible to fund about 90 percent of its operations.

While USC administrators are far from perfect, they've shown sensitivity in the past dealing with tuition issues.

Since we're technically a public institution, General Assembly members can regulate. It's just almost unconscionable they actually would given their actions against higher education.

Legislators, step up and fund higher education appropriately, or leave it alone.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

But this is South Carolina, and since obesity rates are already obscenely high, we probably will.