In our opinion: Haley fails to uphold her own standards

Three weeks in, she's failing miserably.

According to The State newspaper, The Free Times and several other media outlets, Haley has ignored pretty much every interview request, even for simple non-controversial stories. That's not good.

Evading mainstream media outlets and subsequently attacking them reminds us of Sarah Palin.

Then, in yesterday's edition of The State, we learn Haley has used her public cell phone only three times since taking office. There's a reason for this: public calls are prone to Freedom of Information Request Act requests.

She hasn't used her state e-mail address at all. This reminds us of Mark Sanford's requests that staffers send information to his private account so it wouldn't be available to the public.

And let's be real. There's no way she's only made three phone calls and sent zero e-mails in three weeks.

If she's doing South Carolina's business, she should do so in a transparent and open way. Government is best practiced in the open — not in the dark.

Another practice Haley promised but is now ignoring: a detailed calendar of public events. Last week's calendar included only four activities on two days. Her spokesman promises more in the future. We want to see it.

To give her a little credit, Haley has worked with legislatures more than many voters thought she would, which provides hope she'll cooperate more than Sanford.

But for a candidate who campaigned with promises of transparency and taking government back, Haley isn't exactly living up to the standards she set for herself.

So here's our hopes. Grant at least some interview requests. Use your state-issued phone and e-mail address. Give us a detailed weekly calendar.
Primarily, just don't do anything else that reminds us of Mark Sanford or Sarah Palin.