In our opinion: Haley must fulfill campaign promises

For Gov. Nikki Haley, Wednesday was a historic and exciting day full of hope and opportunity.
Or at least those are the cliche words thrown around at the beginning of every new administration. Now it's time to capitalize and change those cliche words into tangible accomplishments. Here's what The Daily Gamecock expects from our new governor.
More than anything, we want jobs. Republicans across the country have drilled the word into the minds of voters, and we'd now like to see them. Focus on economic development, and reverse our double-digit unemployment rates.
Jobs are closely followed by education. South Carolina still has a "Corridor of Shame," and Haley must take education seriously. She must realize cutting education funding is not the solution to any problem. Haley needs to finagle money into both higher education and K-12 schools to keep the state moving forward. We understand the budget must be balanced, but education cannot go by the wayside.
And remember how former Gov. Mark Sanford used to boss colleges around, telling them not to start new building projects and raising tuition? That's not what we want to see from Haley. Be frugal and responsible, sure. But be progressive.
We crave long-term solutions, not short-term ones that excite the Tea Party. We want a better relationship with the state legislature. Work toward compromise, and accept government works best when concessions are made from both sides. Be transparent. Tell the truth. And stay in touch with the people. Worry about policy and not headlines.
If you do these things, solutions will follow.
Whatever you do, Nikki, please don't embarrass South Carolina. No Argentine dalliances. No pigs on the State House steps. Please don't drive recklessly, or refer to America's First Lady as a gorilla's ancestor.
We're proud of our state. Make us proud of you.