Letter from the Editor: Gamecock Nation supports Gaeckle

It was so friendly it seemed almost fake. Little did I know that's just Andrew.

As president, he deeply loved the student body. He would do anything to help anyone, and his friends numbered in the thousands. Everyone he met at USC got a smile. The Golden Rule was his rule as a leader in the Carolina community. And his friends — and even acquaintances — knew his love for his university.

The details are fuzzy, but we know this: Andrew Gaeckle was shot by a robber early Saturday morning in Washington, D.C. By God's providence, he survived the attack and is expected to be OK. And for that, I am incredibly thankful.

Andrew and I cultivated a friendship over the years, and I have plenty of Gaeckle stories. Anyone that's been here for a few years has an Andrew Gaeckle story.

At USC, he was a tremendous student leader. He was solutions-oriented. Andrew's door was always open, and he gave his cell phone number out freely. As student body president, a University Ambassador and so much more, he left a dedicated footprint of service — a call to lead, a desire to grow and a passion for many things.

Andrew made his name here. Everyone knew him at USC, and he was loved tremendously. Over the past 24 hours, hundreds have sent outpourings of love and support on his Facebook page. Many came from students. But dozens of others came from faculty and staff members.

Andrew was—and is— everyone's friend.

I've spoken to him a few times recently, and it's clear he still loves Gamecock athletics — especially football. Being in D.C. this summer when the Gamecocks were playing in the College World Series, Andrew quickly directed me to the "Gamecock bar," where alumni gathered to watch every USC game.

He's found success in D.C. as a consultant, and I know he will eventually make an incredible name for himself and this great university we call home.

And it is a great university because of people like Andrew Gaeckle. In the 44,000-strong student body, the dozens of departments and the thousands of faculty and staff members, it's easy to forget why we sing, "We hail thee, Carolina."

No one represents Carolina more than Andrew Gaeckle, and a gunman in a lust for money almost took Andrew's life.

For Andrew, let's count our blessings and tell our friends how deeply we love them. Let's remember that USC is a great place full of great people.

It's often been said a person's greatest testament is that he or she left a place better than it was found. Here we are two years after Andrew graduated. My phone literally rang off the hook all weekend. People were so concerned and so upset about an alum far removed from day-to-day life here.

Hang in there, Andrew. We'll see you this fall at a football game.

The Gamecock Nation is behind you.