International intervention rarely works

History tells us that, oftentimes, when the U.S. gets involved in the affairs of other nations, all countries involved face some negative effects. America hasn’t had to worry about conflict directly affecting the public domestically since the days of the Civil War. However, perceived and indirect threats have been followed by knee jerk reactions to foreign incidents. In addition, America has supported foreign authoritarian regimes in order to maintain power, money and influence internationally. In doing so, America ignores the democratic principles it was built upon.

Many times U.S. intervention has caused chaos, fostered anti-American sentiment, political instability and usually the U.S.’s efforts leave foreign nations worse off than before America stepped in. There are many examples: Vietnam, Afghanistan, Guatemala and others. Egypt is just the most recent case. Most of Egypt’s population is in a state of political unrest, protesting and demanding that President Hosni Mubarak relinquish his position, which he has held for the last 30 years. Mubarak’s has violated the rights of his citizens, and the calls for him to resign have grown louder.

Our government should only get involved in Egypt to the extent that we safely bring home U.S. citizens currently there. Other than that, there are no positive consequences for the U.S. choosing sides and, if the government does so, it will repeat the mistakes of the past. So far, Obama has intervened by withdrawing financial assistance and delicately suggesting that Mubarak step down. However, the U.S. should not interfere in the affairs of other nations just to have a political supporter who they can control. It is best to let foreign countries deal with their own affairs.