Expectations, quick fame hurt athletes

michellefantoneweb

In classes and dorm rooms across campus yesterday, students were celebrating USC scoring Jadeveon Clowney, the top football recruit in the nation.

As a huge football fan, I was ecstatic to see Clowney join our team. It was also wonderful seeing the student body so united. These kind of events are those great for school and team spirit.

However, all this hype worries me about how we treat our players on campus. Whether you are a fan of athletics, you have to admit that our athletic programs are how the school is most well known nationally. Having excellent players is the key to this success. Unfortunately, these players are unproven on any kind of national stage. When they arrive at USC, they are treated like heroes and gods, months before they even step into a crowded Williams-Brice Stadium for the first time. This can have damaging effects on the players and how they perform.

The praise can go to their heads, causing them to act like fools — something we’ve seen from our players in the past.

It could also be hurtful to the players who do not perform up to the hype when they first get on the field. The USC student body can be harsh on its players, and one fumble at the wrong time can turn the whole student section against a player. Striking a good balance of praise is a two-way street between the players and the students. Players should be careful not to let the huge amounts of acclaim go to their heads, and students need to be careful not to hold players to unrealistic standards. Luckily for the Gamecocks, last year Marcus Lattimore allowed neither to happen.

Let’s hope our new No. 1 recruit can do the same.