Hit-and-run victim out of surgery

First-year remains in critical condition

The first-year USC student hit by a suspected drunk driver Sunday morning left surgery Monday, according to a family friend’s online journal.

Mac Dunbar suffered collapsed lungs, a damaged right kidney, a nonfunctional spleen, broken bones and a minor head injury after he was the victim of a hit-and-run while crossing Assembly Street from the Sonic Drive-In around 3 a.m. Dunbar is at Richland Memorial Hospital and, according to the journal at caringbridge.org/visit/macdunbar, still in critical condition and on a respirator.

In Monday’s surgeries, Dunbar’s right kidney was removed, and his digestive tract was successfully repaired. The journal states that broken bones in one arm and both legs have been “temporarily stabilized,” the fluid in his chest is being drained and the pressure in his brain is “under control.”

Dunbar is a Kappa Alpha pledge. A prayer vigil was held for him on the grassy knoll of the Greek Village Monday night. Louis Howell, a first-year business student and KA brother, said he is among Dunbar’s best friends and has known him since he was born.

“Just keep Mac and the Dunbar family your prayers,” Howell said to the student body. “He’s a strong individual, and he’ll fight back very hard.”

According to multiple media outlets, Ashley Coleman, the 23-year-old suspected as the driver of the vehicle that struck Dunbar, has posted her bond of $50,000 and is out of jail.

A prayer service for Dunbar and his family will be held today at 4 p.m. in the chapel at First Presbyterian Church in Spartanburg.