IT’S ANYBODY’S ELECTION

Student Government elections are almost here, and in today’s edition we give you in-depth looks at each candidate for executive office and their platforms.

Our editorial board also spent time with each candidate, and our choices for office are inside on the Viewpoints page.

Voter turnout in these elections is historically low. In fact, only 20 percent of students take time to vote some years. But these student body officers control hundreds of thousands of dollars, represent the student body at hundreds of events and are the primary catalysts for new student initiatives on campus.

It’s easy to vote. Voting for student body executives and student senate opens on VIP at 9 a.m. Feb. 15 and ends at 5 p.m. Feb. 16. The Student Government Elections ballot can be found underneath the “Personal” tab on VIP.

Write-in ballots may be cast in room 227 in the Russell House. In addition to SG officers, you will also be able to vote on a new SG constitution.

This proposed amendment to the SG Constitution will merge the Graduate Student Association and Student Government and create a “stronger voice for graduate students, who are woefully underrepresented in our current government system” said GSA President Ben Bullock.

Should it pass, SG will become a bicameral legislature with both a graduate and undergraduate branch. Both would have vice presidents with equal power in the organization.