New alcohol, drug policies pose stricter consequences

Amendments focus on tailgating, advertising

Students who are uninformed about USC’s new alcohol and drug policy could find themselves facing the consequences.

The amendments, Sections J (promotional advertising) and K (event tailgating), were added to the alcohol policies in December of 2009 and address current acts involving the improper use of alcohol. The promotional guidelines include any printed and digital advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements and banners that advocate the use of alcohol. These advertisements cannot exhibit trademark and/or brand names of alcohol nor have any mention of alcohol whatsoever.

The policies, which now include sections about consequences of those found in violation of University policy, have been added to USC’s to ensure that students can understand its contents. USC officials have finalized the policies in hope to curtail the amount of related instances on and off-campus.

Word of the new policies has upset some of USC’s students. Some believe that the new laws, though created for students’ safety, will only cause more trouble.

“These laws are only going to make students become more secretive,” first-year business student Dean Tourigny said.

For event tailgating, the policies state that anyone representing the University should uphold University standards and those found in violation of these standards could find themselves facing the Judicial Board.

Changes to the drug policies include references to state law if violations occur off campus and consequences that include, but are not limited to: suspension, expulsion, loss of financial aid and scholarships, drug screens, group counseling, fines, probation, community service and removal from University housing. Additions to the policy also include the definitions of certain words and phrases such as controlled substance, illegal drug, improper use and paraphernalia. To educate students about the harmful effects of drug and alcohol abuse, the Office of Substance Abuse Prevention and Education has started classes and programs that focus on teaching students the potential consequences of drugs and alcohol.

“It may make things safer on campus because people won’t want to risk losing their scholarships and things like that,” said first-year business student Thalia Trejo.  “But there are some people where it just won’t matter.”

For a complete list of USC alcohol and drug policies, visit http://www.sa.sc.edu/carolinacommunity/atoz.htm