‘The Suicide’ nothing to mourn

Longstreet Theatre brings rarely performed comedy to Carolina

The words "suicide" and "comedy" are rarely paired together. But in the case of the Longstreet Theatre's latest production, it seems so right.

"The Suicide" focuses on the melancholy life of Semyon, an unemployed worker living in the midst of societal chaos in communistic Russia. When it appears he has had enough of it all, his wife reveals to a neighbor that she thinks he is considering suicide. The rumor spreads throughout the town, and locals begin to bargain with Semyon, in hopes that he will die in honor of their proposed causes.

While each offer is increasingly outlandish and hysterical, the real kicker is that Semyon actually isn't contemplating suicide at all. This sends the production over the edge, as audiences know the efforts of each citizen are a lost cause.

The play is rarely performed due to its surprisingly bumpy past. Playwright Nikolai Erdman wrote the script in 1929, but it was banned after being seen by Stalinist bureaucrats. It wasn't until 40 years later that the play was revived, and a few decades more until it was viewed again in Russia. But Longstreet celebrates it in a way that makes up for all those years that were lost.

Working on this production held a personal connection for set designer Nic Ularu, who was born and raised in Romania. His firsthand knowledge of growing up in a communist society was an inspiration to the rest of the cast.

"The repression in these types of societies changed the face of the world," Ularu said. "It needs to be discussed even after so many years because it is beneficial for all generations to learn how, in many cases, not to act."

"The Suicide" revives farcical comedy, a style often associated with Shakespeare that highlights subtle and intelligent humor, as opposed to slapstick comedy. But don't be mistaken — you will roar with laughter throughout the entire performance at the absurdity of the circumstances characters find themselves in. Ularu especially loves this type of theater because it causes the audience to think. "It's for everyone, and presents a type of intellectual humor that everyone can laugh at and have something to learn from," he said.

The charisma of the cast is what really makes this production a must-see. From their pre-performance exercises to the final bow, it is clear that this is a closely-knit group of theater gurus. Actors with varying experience are featured, including graduate students Don Russell, who plays Semyon, and Catherine Friesen, cast as his wife, Mariya. These two, along with several other undergraduate students, are given the chance to work in a real professional environment alongside Robyn Hunt, a professor of acting at USC, as well as other faculty and theater experts. Ularu said that the performance is a perfect combination of a new generation of young actors and professionals, creating an incomparable quality of acting.

So, enjoy the only time that anything involving a suicide will be a treat, and visit Longstreet Theatre. Performances are Feb. 18-26 with student discounts on tickets.