Carolina's season ends with Staley's future up in the air

Virginia expected to inquire about USC head coach

That is known. What isn't, however, is if the 49ers' win will eventually lead USC coach Dawn Staley some 396 miles north to Charlottesville, Va.

Staley concluded her third season in Columbia with an 18-15 record — USC's first winning season and most wins since the 2006-07 campaign, when the Lady Gamecocks also finished 18-15.

However, Staley is rumored to be the top name on the short list of candidates for the impending head coach vacancy at Virginia, her alma mater. Staley helped lead Virginia to three consecutive Final Fours from 1990-92.

The job will be open when longtime coach Debbie Ryan steps down at the end of the season after 34 years in Charlottesville. Virginia advanced in the WNIT Sunday, defeating Loyola 71-49.

Staley said she intends to return next season, but offered no definitive answer.

"That's the plan," said Staley when asked if she will be on the USC bench. She then quickly left the podium, answering no further questions.

Leading by eight points at halftime, Charlotte extended its lead to as many as 19 with 7:40 remaining in the game. A 10-0 Carolina run pulled the game back to within nine points with 5:21 left,but the 49ers pulled away from there, leading by 20 at one point down the stretch.

Ieasia Walker led USC with 15 points. Charlotte's Shannon McCallum led all scorers with 21. Carolina's Charenee Stephens had a game-high 11 rebounds.

Charlotte (25-9) was extremely efficient from the floor, shooting 45.3 percent, while the Lady Gamecocks struggled, shooting 30.6 percent. The 49ers dominated inside, riding a significant size advantage to outscore USC 32-24 in the paint.

"Our offense, it just failed us," Staley said. "We couldn't hit enough shots. We couldn't keep up with them."

Free throws also plagued USC, which was 17-of-27 from the line to the 49ers' 16-of-22.

"I thought we missed a lot of shots that we usually hit," Staley said. "It was just one of those days where everything we shot wasn't going in. I thought we had some pretty wide-open looks that we didn't knock down."

The full-court offensive style the 49ers run offers itself to turnovers, and USC forced 14 of them, eight of which were steals. However, the Lady Gamecocks weren't able to fully take advantage of the opportunities, scoring only 11 points off turnovers.

"We couldn't throw it in the ocean," Staley said.

The game was the last in a Carolina uniform for seniors Jewel May (2 points) and Valerie Nainima (7 points).

It remains to be seen if it will be a similar case for Staley.