Ramon Galloway, Stephen Spinella leave USC men's basketball program

Sophomore guards will not return next season

Last week, USC men's basketball coach Darrin Horn criticized the production his team got from the shooting guard position this past season.

Now, two shooting guards have left the program.

Sophomores Ramon Galloway and Stephen Spinella will not return to the team next year, Horn announced on Tuesday.

"As a staff we wish Ramon and Stephen the best in their futures, both as basketball players and young men," said Horn in a release. "We're committed to helping both of them continue their basketball and academic careers. We appreciate what they brought to our program during their time at South Carolina."

Galloway struggled with inconsistency throughout his two seasons in Columbia, but the Philadelphia native averaged 10.7 points a game this year and began to make a name for himself as one of the more athletic players in the Southeastern Conference thanks to several acrobatic slam dunks. Despite suffering a broken foot during this past preseason, Galloway played in all 30 games, in addition to appearing in all 31 games of his freshman campaign.

"I have enjoyed my two years here at the University of South Carolina," said Galloway in a release. "At this time I'm going to transfer to another university. I'm looking for a different opportunity and role. I would like to thank coach Horn and wish him and the program the best."

Spinella had his moments as a Gamecock, including defending eventual SEC Player of the Year and First Team All-American John Wall late in USC's 68-62 upset of then-No. 1 Kentucky in 2010 and scoring a career-high 15 points against Radford this past December. However, the Colts Neck, N.J. native fell out of the rotation by the time SEC play started. Spinella did not appear in USC's final 11 games.

"I enjoyed the past two years here at South Carolina," said Spinella in a release. "I have decided to pursue other opportunities. I appreciate everything Coach Horn and the team have allowed me to accomplish. I wish the team the best of luck in the future."

Galloway and Spinella are the sixth and seventh players to leave the Carolina program since Horn became coach in April of 2008.

Guard Chad Gray was dismissed from the team soon after Horn's arrival, later transferring to Coastal Carolina. Additionally, guard Trevor DeLoach left the team that spring. DeLoach now plays at UNC-Wilmington.

After Horn's first season, role player Mitchell Carter opted to transfer to Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

On New Year's Day 2010, Horn dismissed forward Mike Holmes from the team. Holmes transferred to Coastal Carolina. He was eventually dismissed from the Chanticleer program this past season.

After the 2009-2010 season, forward Austin Steed left the program but remained on scholarship, graduating from USC last semester.