Three candidates for new dean spot prepare for visits

College of Education position contenders ‘looking forward’ to meeting students, faculty

The three contenders for dean of the College of Education position will visit USC in April.

All candidates have an extensive background in higher education and each of their  visits will last two days in which they will meet with USC faculty, staff, students and administrators.

Pamela Carroll, associate dean of Academic Affairs for the College of Education at Florida State University, will be visiting April 11-12.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to meet with the faculty, staff and students to learn more about the College of Education and how it fits within the university and the community of Columbia and within South Carolina and to get a feel for the work that’s going on there and for the potential for where the college can go in the future,” Carroll said.

Carroll was the editor of the Assembly on Literature for Adolescents Review for five years and she continues to work as a member of ALAN and as a member of the Board of Directors of the National Council of Teachers of English. According to the FSU website, her published works “include books, chapters and articles on literature (including young adult literature), middle grades literacy, and teaching and learning practices in the English Language arts classrooms.”

“I’ve watched the university grow and have watched the college grow over the years. I’m a graduate of Auburn University, another SEC school, so I’ve always had the University of South Carolina in sight,” Carroll said. “I think it’s a great institution with a very strong college of education and I’m at the point in my career where I’m ready to take on a deanship. It’s at the right time and the right place for me. It seems like it would be a good fit.”

Kim Metcalf, Dean of the College of Education at the University of West Georgia, will be visiting April 21-22.

Metcalf started his career as an Indiana K-12 public school music teacher. He also taught at Southwest Missouri State University, Ohio State University and worked as a professor of education and Director of the Indiana Center of Evaluation at Indiana University-Bloomington.

Metcalf’s research focuses on “the evolution of the Education deanship, the impact and structure of clinical or practical experiences in the preparation of education professionals and the effective collection, analysis and use of empirical data to improve program development, policy development, and program improvement,” according to West Georgia University’s website.

Metcalf couldn’t be reached for comment late Tuesday.

Peter Hlebowitsh, Professor and Chair of the College of Education at the University of Iowa, will visit April 25-56.

Hlebowitsh has also taught at Long Island University and the University of Houston. His research focuses on curriculum theory and design, school policy and school history. Hlebowitsh said that he is excited about the prospect of working at USC, and that his visit will be a climate relief.

“I believe that USC is likely to be an institution that matches up with my skills, meaning that I believe that I have good expertise in program development for graduate education and for teacher education,” Hlebowitsh said. “I believe that I could have a lot to say and a lot to do in terms of fundraising and grant work development and I’ve spent my lifetime working in a [Reasearch-1] institution.”

Hlebowitsh, originally from New Jersey, added that it would be nice to return to the East Coast.