Women's tennis looks to continue to build confidence

USC to face VCU in midweek match

"I think we played two bad matches the week before [spring break]," said coach Arlo Elkins. "So anytime you win two matches in a row, I think that's going to help your confidence. We needed those matches, and we needed to play the way we played — with a lot of confidence, a lot of focus and, most importantly, with a lot of energy."

Carolina defeated Auburn 4-3 on Friday, winning four of six singles matches after dropping the doubles point. On Sunday, the Gamecocks started the day with two doubles victories against a very strong Alabama program en route to a 5-2 win.

"Doubles has been less than successful all year, so on Friday we decided to change the doubles lineup," Elkins said. "They were people that had played together some in the fall, and they just needed a match or so to get used to playing with each other again.

"Friday in doubles wasn't very good, and then we came out on [Sunday] against an outstanding doubles team at Alabama and played really well. So that's going to give us some confidence that we can play doubles well."

Among the new pairs were Miljana Jocic and Anya Morgina, who narrowly won their doubles match against Alabama in a tiebreaker set, and Madeleine Saari-Byström and Katerina Popova.

The Gamecocks have also received a boost from the addition of Adriana Pereira to their lineup. Pereira, who is recovering from a shoulder injury, won both matches she played in the No. 6 singles spot last weekend.

"She was a really good player last year and had a really good record," Elkins said. "We maybe should have played her before this weekend, but we're still a little concerned with her shoulder and didn't want to wear her out. We were trying to save her for the SEC season, but now we're starting to get her into the lineup."

Pereira finished last season with a 9-2 record in the SEC. Elkins does not anticipate that she will play doubles in the near future, but said she will continue to provide a boost for USC in singles.

VCU comes to Columbia after a loss to NC State on Saturday. Prior to that, however, the Rams had won nine consecutive matches.

It will take all of the Gamecocks' confidence, and a little extra effort, to pull off a victory today.

"We have to play the same way we did against Alabama," Elkins said. "If we play with that kind of heart and that kind of energy, I think we'll be OK."