Celebrate 4/20 by fighting for legalization of marijuana

Responsible, hard-working citizens deserve not to be treated as criminals

Happy 4/20, everyone! In honor of the holiday, this column is dedicated to, as cliché and expected as it might be, the argument in favor of the full regulation and legalization of cannabis and industrial hemp.

Many of you have heard all of the myths by now, and you’ve heard them all debunked. Smoking marijuana is not harmful to health, especially when compared to alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs, either recreational or prescription. Marijuana use does not, as once accepted, kill brain cells. There is no substantial evidence that marijuana is addictive nor that it leads to subsequent use of harder drugs.

While there is no logical rebuttal as to why marijuana prohibition should be maintained, these legalization arguments tend to fall on deaf ears. People hear the words “illegal” and “drug” and immediately associate cannabis with criminal activity without bothering to realize that the only crime that arises from cannabis use is within the black market as a result of prohibition. What these people fail to understand is that a vast majority of marijuana users, who do so privately and responsibly without hurting themselves or others, are innocent, hard-working, tax-paying citizens. And each year, thousands are treated as criminals and their lives are ruined because they are punished for a lifestyle choice people have been making, arguably, since the invention of fire.

There is a tremendous pressure in our society to keep legalization opinions private — out of fear of judgment and punishment from family members, authority figures and academic and career opportunities. But change will only come from awareness and open support — from users and nonusers alike. Challenge the perpetuating stereotypes and prove that it is entirely possible to be a responsible, productive citizen who also supports the legalization of marijuana.

Any supportive effort is a step closer to raising the issue in the legislature. Join active organizations like Just Say Now or NORML (The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). Educate yourself and the uninformed — it’s never too late to change someone’s mind. Attend today’s Marijuana March at the Statehouse and let our leaders know there are South Carolinians who want to see progressive change.

For those of you celebrating today, do so responsibly. As wrongful as it is, cannabis possession is still against the law, and getting arrested will contribute nothing to the cause. Keep up the activism, and maybe by this time next year, there will be no need to fear burning one down.