DeAngelo Smith continues his strong spring with three touchdown catches

Redshirt sophomore named wins Joe Morrison offensive player award

DeAngelo Smith didn't have a lot to say for someone on the receiving end of three touchdowns in Saturday's Garnet and Black Game.

"It feels pretty good," Smith said. "The past two years I've been hurt, so this year I just want to be out here playing football and try to make the starting team."

Smith caught a 62-yard pass from Dylan Thompson for the Garnet squad on the first play of its opening drive. The redshirt sophomore then moved over to the Black team, where he racked up 52 yards and two touchdowns. Smith led both units in receiving yards for the game.

It was a continuation of a stellar spring for Smith, who has caught a touchdown in every spring scrimmage. His performance during the sessions has drawn attention, as he was named the Joe Morrison Offensive Player of the Spring during a halftime ceremony.

Making Smith's accomplishment even more impressive is his background from his playing days at Camden County High in Georgia.

"He has really developed into an outstanding receiver, but he came from a high school that does not throw the ball," coach Steve Spurrier said. "I think he caught 10 passes his senior year, but Steve [Spurrier] Jr., who recruits that Kingsland, Ga., area, just watched him run, watched him compete, watched him block and watched him play football. We took a shot at it, and he's really come around."

Smith is behind star receiver Alshon Jeffery on the depth chart, so it remains uncertain as to what his role will be at the start of the season. Whether he is playing behind Jeffery or at a different receiver position in order to get on the field, Smith isn't dwelling on particulars.

"My main focus is on playing behind Alshon," Smith said. "That's where I'm at right now."

The guys behind Marcus: Freshman All-American tailback Marcus Lattimore played sparingly, with only three carries for 19 yards. As a result, Gamecock fans got a glimpse of what the running game behind him could look like.

Kenny Miles, USC's leading rusher in 2009, rushed for a touchdown and led all running backs with 43 yards on the ground. Eric Baker, who was named the Most Improved tailback of the spring, rushed for 15 yards and had three receptions. Senior walk-on Josh Hinch, a Knoxville, Tenn., native, had six catches for 43 yards out of the backfield.

"We are in good shape," Spurrier said. "Kenny Miles is an excellent back. He has always averaged about over five yards a carry, and I think he did again there today. Of course Eric Baker was hurt last year. His knees are 100 percent. Josh Hinch, he is a good little football player. We kept dumping off finding him. He is a valuable walk-on."

Offensive line production: With the Gamecocks expecting to rely heavily on their running game this coming season, a lot of attention has been put on how Offensive Line Coach Shawn Elliott and his unit are improving heading into his second season on staff.

"I think they're okay," Spurrier said. "I think coach Elliott thinks we're going to be just as good, maybe a little better. I've never heard a coach say, 'I think we'll be worse next year,' but we really like these guys."

Lattimore agreed with Spurrier's assessment of the line.

"They're playing more as a unit," Lattimore said. "We had the best inside drills that we've ever had on Wednesday night. It was just good to see that."