Department course requirements too rigid

Students not given enough flexibility in curriculum

The spring semester isn't quite over, but almost all returning students already know what classes they are taking in the fall, and some of them have their semesters planned from now until the time they graduate.

Why do we have to plan so far in advance? Probably because all departments and colleges require students to follow a strict curriculum of major-specific courses, and any deviation from this schedule could result in a student's inability to graduate on time.

Kristyn_Winch_COLOR_WEBCollege is a time for exploring and gathering knowledge on all sorts of topics. A campus environment provides students with opportunities outside of the classroom to learn about subjects they couldn't find out about anywhere else. From guest lectures to open forums, there are plenty of ways to hear about diversity and interact with students who come from different cultures and backgrounds.

There isn't a lot of room to take classes on a variety of topics, though.

I understand why departments and colleges require students to take specific courses. For students to become successful and get jobs in their fields of study, it is important that they master the material and learn everything that can be taught about the subject during their undergraduate studies. However, there should be some wiggle room for exploration and discovery of topics outside of a student's major.

I'm a journalism student with a music minor. Each semester, I go into my advisement appointment knowing what classes I have to take and what courses are the next step on my path to earning my degree. Each semester, I plan my schedule strategically to make sure I'm not setting myself up for late graduation and an extra semester or even year in college.

Of course, students could choose to overload on courses in order to take an extra class they are interested in. This requires extra money, though, which is something most college students don't have a lot of.

My mind is telling me that taking these required courses is the only way I'll graduate on time, and the material taught is the only necessary information I need to get a job in my field of study. But my heart is dying to take some other classes solely because I want to learn more about the world and become a well-rounded member of society.

I'd like to think I'm not alone on this. I'm sure there are other students on this campus who long to take a studio art class or an upper-level sociology class (particularly one about Lady Gaga). But until the administration decides to be more open about curriculum, society stops pressuring students to finish college in four years, or a big pile of money falls from the sky into my lap, it's not likely that I'll be able to stray from the course requirements set by my department.