Guest column: Citizens must be active to save Earth from global warming, environmental issues

Making changes now will protect planet for future generations

It's been a while since I graduated from USC. When I left, Jimmy Carter had just been elected president and Elvis was still shaking his then-considerable hips on stages across America.

I return this evening on a mission — to help citizens discover their voice and the power they have to make a difference, particularly when it comes to enacting policies that will keep the Earth livable for future generations.

For several decades now, scientists have warned about the disastrous consequences we'll face in this century if we fail to reduce the levels of greenhouse gases that are warming the planet and destabilizing our climate. Because of the lag time with the changes that are occurring, there is a certain amount of warming already "in the pipeline" that is unavoidable.

If we don't act soon to reduce our carbon emissions, however, we'll reach the tipping point where changes outpace our ability to adapt: Rising sea levels will create hundreds of millions of "climate refugees," which will further destabilize fragile nations on the verge of becoming failed states. More frequent and severe droughts and floods will reduce the supply of food in an already-hungry world, sending prices to levels beyond the reach of the poor. Glaciers that supply water for a billion people will melt. In South Carolina, the sea will claim the beautiful beaches we enjoy, and summer temperatures go from miserable to deadly.

We're on track to leave an unmanageable mess for those future generations and they're going to be plenty aggravated that we didn't do something about it when we had the chance.

What's stopping us? Why aren't we making the transition to clean energy that will produce millions of new jobs, reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and lower the risks of climate change?

It comes down to political will, and the fossil fuel industry buys as much of that as it needs, beginning with think tanks that confuse the public into believing the science on climate change isn't settled.

Add to that millions of dollars in campaign contributions to members of Congress and limitless TV advertising from coal and oil interests and it's little wonder that legislation to put a price on carbon has stalled in Washington.

It starts with ordinary citizens sitting down with their members of Congress and having an honest discussion about the problem we're facing and the way to solve it. In a time of cynicism and animosity toward politics, we have to develop a relationship of respect and trust with lawmakers that gives them the courage to do the right thing.

It starts with seeing our representatives and senators, not as piñatas to be smacked around at town hall meetings, but as human beings who care as much about the kind of world their grandchildren will inherit as we do.For some of us, it may start simply with finding out who our member of Congress is. And that's okay. We all have to start somewhere.

Steve Valk, communications director of Citizens Climate Lobby, is a 1976 graduate of USC's College of Journalism. He lives in Atlanta.