In our opinion: Rev. G. Bryant Wright will, but should not, receive honorary degree from University of South Carolina

The university should make good on its promise and hand Wright the degree it has promised him. It's likely too late to stop this honor, and we wouldn't want USC to go back on its word.

But he shouldn't be receiving this degree.

Why? Wright leads the Southern Baptist Convention, an organization that strongly espouses positions against same-sex marriage and gay rights. This organization has publicly opposed a repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell that would allow gays and lesbians to work in our military. These beliefs go directly against the Carolinian Creed, the motto our school asks everyone to abide by. The Creed includes statements such as "allegiance to these ideals requires each Carolinian to refrain from and discourage behaviors which threaten the freedom and respect every individual deserves."

Our position doesn't reflect our feelings on Wright as an individual. His church has provided aid to people in Haiti, several countries in South America and parts of Africa. He founded and serves as chairman of Right From The Heart Ministries, a radio, television and internet ministry dedicated to inspirational advertising.

He's done more than his fair share of good works in this world.

But this degree comes from a university that says it recognizes diversity, accepts everyone as they are and believes in a clear separation between church and state. This is a university that strives to provide the same opportunities for every student. This is a university that trains employees how to best help gay students as they're fighting intolerance.

And, now, this is a university that is giving its highest honor to someone who believes hundreds, if not thousands, of USC students are undeserving of basic marriage rights.