Indie Grits Festival, Artista Vista, Rosewood Crawfish Festival hit Columbia this month

For years now, many nationally known festivals have called Columbia their home.

From St. Pat’s in Five Points to the Rosewood Crawfish Festival, visitors travel from near and far to sample some of the best that South Carolina’s capital has to offer — even if only for a day or long weekend.

Of course, when spring and summer are around the corner, these festivals really get into full swing, serving up the best of the city and offering something to peak every interest. Columbia has a lot on its calendar in the coming months, so start marking yours.

The Indie Grits Festival
Wednesday, April 13 – Sunday, April 17

Imagine combining delicious eats with fresh music and a bevy of unique independent films and crafts, all in a distinctly Southern atmosphere.

Well, the Indie Grits Festival does just that. Now in its fifth year, the annual event brings together filmmakers and lovers alike over five days that feature a collection of shorts, student work, documentaries and independent films hailing from the South, culminating with encore screenings of the week’s award winners on Sunday.

But it’s not all about the films. Indie Grits also showcases several live band performances from local artists including Sweet Vans, Chemical Peel and Tori Y Moi, as well as a smattering of culinary delights from local chefs.

Festival passes are on sale for $125, but tickets for individual events and screenings that are held at the Nickelodeon Theatre are also available.

Artista Vista
Thursday, April 28 – Saturday, April 30

For 20 years, Vista art galleries have opened their doors wide for visitors of all ages to come and explore what art really means. Hosted by the Vista Guild, Artista Vista was developed in hopes of spreading word and support for local art galleries in a fun and creative way that would interest people from all walks of life. Since then, the annual event has become a favorite of Columbia residents and out-of-state visitors for the Midlands largest “gallery crawl.” Twelve galleries will participate in this year’s Artista Vista, including an exhibition of photographs and recordings of performance art from the South Carolina Contemporary Dance Co., as well as open galleries at the One Eared Cow Glass gallery and the State Museum.

Several galleries will also feature live music and food for visitors at Thursday’s event. The festivities will continue until Saturday.

The Rosewood Crawfish Festival
Saturday, April 30

The annual Rosewood Crawfish Festival has been doing it Creole style and letting the good times roll in Columbia for going on six years. This year’s festival will certainly be no exception, with thousands of Louisiana-bred crawfish making the thousand-mile journey right here to Columbia.

The event has become one of the biggest in the city, blending good food with live music and a variety of family-friendly events. This year’s headlining artists include alternative rockers Eve 6 and singer-songwriter Will Hoge, as well as a mix of local favorites like the Papa String Band and Jahson and the Natty Vibes. The festival also includes the infamous Crawdaddy Dash 5k and — yeah, you guessed it — crawfish races. Advanced tickets are already on sale at local Rosewood merchants for $8.