Morris Fiorina discusses current political issues

Stanford professor presents 'The Road to (and from) the 2010 Elections'

Morris Fiorina, a Stanford University professor and senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, spoke about politics in the Business Administration Building’s Lumpkin Auditorium on Thursday evening.

In the lecture, sponsored by political science fraternity Pi Sigma Alpha, the Department of Political Science and the College of Arts and Sciences, Fiorina discussed subjects ranging from the tea party, which he referred to as a social movement, to health care.

Fiorina compared the current situation of the Democrats and Republicans battling to take majority seats in the House and Senate to the “era of no decision” that occurred from 1874 to 1896.

This similar situation occurred after the Civil War, and Fiorina said the issues America faced then were the same as today. These issues include globalization, trade and immigration.

He said that during this era America moved from an agricultural society to an industrial one. He said that currently America is shifting from an industrial society to an information services society.

In the 2012 presidential election, Fiorina said he couldn’t forsee any of the most talked about five potential Republican candidates beating President Barack Obama, “assuming nothing goes terribly wrong.”

When answering questions, Fiorina said Obama needs to focus on the budget and health care in order to make his mark.

“If Obama wins again, solve Social Security first — it’s easy. Then take on Medicare” Fiorina said.

As for overcoming all of the issues American politics face, Fiorina did not have a positive outlook.

“I’m not optimistic,” Fiorina said. “I’m worried.”