Steak on the meal plan? Only at ‘Rockin’ Luau’

Carolina Dining serves up great food, music at end-of-semester event

To celebrate the last week of classes, Carolina Dining hosted the first “Rockin’ Luau” Thursday on the Russell House Patio as part of Student Appreciation Week.

With just one meal plan swipe, students got to dine on steak, baked potatoes, cake and other food provided by Sodexo while they listened to live music performed by local artist and USC student Haley Dreis. A Coca-Cola hula hoop contest and “Recycle for a Cycle,” — where students could recycle plastic bottles and enter to win a Dahon bike and a free shirt or visor — complemented the event.

Second-year biology and economics student Joshua Norris said he received an email moments before the event started and got all of his friends together to take part in the festivities.

“It’s a fun way of hanging out before class and a really good set up. I think the email notification was a really great way of getting the word out and I ran over here as soon as I got it,” Norris said. “Basically I want free steak.”

According to Cynthia Steele, Carolina Dining’s marketing director, this has been a tough year for students financially and Sodexo has had to lower the prices of meal plans.

“The students should not be blamed for the economy,” Steele said. “We’ve had events going on all week to praise our students for working with us, both meal plan and cash customers.”

To celebrate Earth Day, Carolina Dining will also be hosting a “Green Rocks” luncheon today where only local, South Carolina-produced food will be available for purchase.

“It’s completely and totally sustainable,” Steele said.