USC must prioritize renovation efforts

USC just announced it will invest $5 million to turn Maxcy College into an international living-learning community and remedy the gaping problems that plague the Capstone Campus Room.

These renovations are a just a couple in what the university hopes to be a series of renovations that will hopefully spruce USC up and begin to fix what needs to be fixed.

As students who spend many hours on campus, we think these are great ideas.

We need a suitable place for students, parents and visitors to gather for events. The ballroom is deteriorating more and more everyday, and these renovations will make this room a modern facility we need. And yes, Maxcy does deserve to be tidied up a bit. The idea of an international living-learning community is also excellent.

As much as we criticize University Housing, these communities are something that should  be continued.

We just don’t believe that these things should be on the top of the to-do list. Places such as Bates House or the Roost, for example, are a couple of places that are at the bottom of the pole and are in dire need of renovation, if not complete reconstruction altogether.

USC officials, we urge you to consider some of these more pressing needs. Check your priority lists. Walk around McBryde, Bates House or The Roost. And then let us know if you think Maxcy College really needs the most renovations. Even if you don’t listen to our suggestions, please make sure there is room for current students to live before anything is renovated.

We don’t want another situation where we have an influx of students and nowhere to put them.