Wal-Mart builds, gets smaller

New Express stores offer drugstore necessities at inexpensive prices

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is taking a giant step toward world domination in the coming months with plans to build even more stores across the country. But these new stores are going to be very different from the typical Walmart superstores most Americans are used to.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Wal-Mart is continuing to expand. The corporation recently announced plans to build new, smaller stores similar to dollar stores in markets where a trip to a superstore is a long commute. These plans came about in response to growing competition with dollar stores.

The new stores will be called Walmart Express stores and will carry essential products like milk, bread, office supplies and batteries. The Express stores are “drugstore-sized” according to an Associated Press article published June 3, and are “less than one-tenth the size of a super center.” The items in stock are about one-tenth of what superstores carry, too. Gone are the days of being tempted by digital cameras, treadmills, fishing gear and T-shirts when heading to the store for a few groceries.

Honestly, I’m surprised that the bigwigs at Wal-Mart didn’t come up with this idea several years ago. Making smaller stores seems a lot smarter than building a few big stores to me.

I’m interested to see the success rate of these smaller stores. The first Walmart Express store opened June 8 in the rural town of Gentry, Ark., and its success or failure will pave the way for other stores its size. According to the AP article, Wal-Mart would like to build about 350 Walmart Express stores each year, which is the same expansion rate Wal-Mart set for its superstores in 2005 and 2006.

Although I hate to say it, Wal-Mart has become one of America’s retail giants because the company delivers what consumers want at prices that are tough to beat. I personally would prefer to shop at a Walmart Express store than a drugstore.

Wal-Mart would be smart to build these smaller stores in college towns. The closest Walmart to campus is a 20-minute drive, so I understand why Wal-Mart feels the need to bring stores closer to people. I think most students would much rather pay Wal-Mart prices than CVS prices, but if they don’t have cars, they must settle for shopping at stores within walking distance. A Walmart Express store near campus would give a wider range of students access to lower priced merchandise.

So, Wal-Mart CEOS, if you’re listening, take a look at expanding in Columbia, S.C. This college student would love to shop inside one of these new Express stores.