Notebook: Volleyball match against Florida to be televised

Gamecocks to face Gators at home on Oct. 19

If it's Florida and South Carolina, the sport doesn't matter.

ESPN will have a camera, or cameras, in the building.

The USC volleyball team will face the perennial national powerhouse Gators for the third straight season in front of a national television audience on ESPNU, it was announced early this week. The match will be a continuation of the recent high-profile competitions between the two schools, including the 2011 College World Series championship series, the 2010 SEC East championship in football and the 2010 SEC regular season and tournament soccer titles.

The match will be held at the Volleyball Competition Facility on campus and is set for an 8 p.m. tipoff on Oct. 19 — one of 17 regular season matches from across the nation and six featuring Southeastern Conference members the network will show this coming season.

Women's golf schedule released: The USC women's golf team will have to wait until 2013 to compete against rival Clemson's newly formed squad, but it will spend much of its 2011-12 season in state and right across the border.

Coach Kalen Anderson announced the team's schedule last week, which includes five different tournaments played on North and South Carolina soil.

The Gamecocks will open the season Sept. 11 to 13 in Hanahan, S.C., at the Cougar Classic. They will then be idle until October, when they have three tournaments in a month: the Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, the SEC/Pac-12 Challenge in Knoxville, Tenn., and the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, N.C.

The season then takes a break until the new year's slate, which is highlighted with a trip to the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate, named for the famous USC alumnus and "Hootie & the Blowfish" frontman, from March 2 to 4 on Hilton Head Island.

Swinehart qualifies for U.S. Women's Amateur: Sophomore golfer Samantha Swinehart will compete in the U.S. Women's Amateur next month in Barrington, R.I., for the first time in her career.

Swinehart, a native of Lancaster, Ohio, shot a round of 75 at Walnut Grove Country Club in Dayton, Ohio, to gain entrance to the field. The tournament runs from August 8 to 14.

Women's track leads the way: The USC women's track and field team led all teams with 15 student-athletes on the SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll. Women's swimming and diving had 10, equestrian eight, volleyball five, women's soccer four, softball three and women's golf and tennis had two student-athletes named to the list.