Premature death prevalent among stars

Pressure leads young celebrities to turn to drugs, alcohol

As the famous Billy Joel song goes, “Only the good die young.” While Amy Winehouse’s behavior definitely can’t be classified as “good,” it’s hard to deny that the tattooed soul singer, who was found dead in her London apartment on Saturday afternoon, had talent. I mean, the woman won five Grammy Awards for her album “Back to Black.” That’s a big deal.
So why couldn’t Winehouse see the potential in herself? Although the cause of her death has yet to be officially determined, it’s no secret that the singer had some serious addictions and wasn’t exactly a role model in her daily life. She often made headlines because of her substance abuse, violent relationships, eating disorders and hospitalization. Who can forget her Grammy acceptance speech in which she dedicated her win to “my Blake incarcerated” or when she was found in a hotel on horse tranquilizers? In reference to Winehouse’s smash hit “Rehab,” Associated Press writer Jill Lawless said, “Few artists summed up their own career in a single song — a single line — as well as Amy Winehouse.”

I believe Winehouse likely could’ve earned several more awards if her offstage life didn’t take a downward spiral. She was 27 years old when she died. If you’re as big of a pop culture enthusiast as I am, you know that 27 is an important number. Winehouse isn’t the first mega talent to pass away at that age. She joins the ranks of Janis Joplin, Jimmi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain. All of these performers were successful on stage but battled various demons and addictions in their offstage lives. Their untimely deaths have broken the hearts of fans across several generations, but the coincidental number has left many people wondering if this age of death could be more than a strange occurrence.

Being thrust into the spotlight must be a very nerve-racking experience. To go from being unknown to posing for the cover of Rolling Stone magazine would be a difficult adjustment for anyone. Fans expect so much from their heroes, too. Imagine what it must be like to leave everyone you care about behind in order to tour the country (or possibly internationally) and perform every night for a different crowd in a different city. Imagine the constant probing of the media, anxious to know every detail of your life ranging from who your musical influences are to who you share a bed with.

It shouldn’t be surprising that many superstars turn to drugs and alcohol to help ease the pressure of the public eye. It’s a shame that this pressure sometimes drives talented people over the edge to the point of self-destructive behavior and even suicide. Twenty-seven is only the starting point of a person’s career. I only wish I could’ve heard more music from these legendary artists.