Dance Around Columbia

Capital city home to venues for contra, salsa, shag dancing

Although classes started yesterday, there's still plenty of fun to be had during this semester. If dancing is something you love or would like to try, here's a look at some local venues that specialize in shag, salsa and contra dancing.

Contra

Where: Arsenal Hill Park Building, 1800 Lincoln St.
When: Second Saturday of each month, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m., with beginner dancer workshops held a half-hour before each dance
Cost: $8

Contra dance is a type of partner folk line dance. Like square dancing, contra dancing involves a caller who tells dancers what steps to do. Unlike square dancing, contra typically involves two lines of dancers facing each other. A series of steps are repeated throughout the night. Each dance/song lasts about 10 to 15 minutes. Columbia Traditional Music and Dance hosts a contra dance on the second Saturday of each month. Guest callers come from all over South Carolina as well as Georgia to host these local dances. Live music is also an integral element of contra dancing. The next Columbia contra dance will be held on Sept. 17 with caller Marion Floyd and music from Cabin Fever.

Where: Lake Murray Contra Hall, 640 Devil's Backbone Road, Leesville, S.C.
When: First Saturday of each month
Cost: $5

Located about 40 minutes from campus, Lake Murray Contra Hall is a new venue for contra that is growing thanks to a series of dance workshops it hosted this summer. Lake Murray's dance also feature live bands and callers. The venue will hold its last summer workshop on Aug. 27 from 8 p.m. to midnight.

Shag

Where: Jillian's, 800 Gervais St.
When: Every Thursday night, 6:30 p.m.
Cost: Free to get in

Ever wanted to learn South Carolina's official state dance? Shag dancing originated during the height of the Big Band Era and is a variation of swing dance. Beach music is the official music of Carolina shag. Jillian's, located on Gervais Street in the Vista, hosts shag dancing every Thursday night throughout the year. People begin arriving at the restaurant as early as 4:30 p.m., and the band plays from 6:30 to 10 p.m.
Latin Dance

Where: Vista Ballroom, 717 Lady St.
When: Every Thursday, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m.
Cost: $3

If Latin rhythms are more your forte, Vista Ballroom hosts a Latin dance night every Thursday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Salsa is one of several Latin dances featured during the night. Vista Ballroom also offers classes in Argentine tango, salsa, ballroom dance, swing and shag. Visit vistaballroom.net for more information about taking lessons and registration.

Where: Salsa Cabana, 2005 N. Beltline Blvd.
When: Friday and Saturday nights
Cost: $10

Although Salsa Cabana is only open on Friday and Saturday nights, it is one of the most popular venues for salsa dancing in the greater Columbia area. The venue has a DJ, who does take requests, and is a great location for socializing and dancing, with a full bar and upper-balcony and lounge area. The Cabana is also in the same parking lot as Casa Linda, a popular Mexican restaurant, making a full Latin-themed evening for many.