Fall pop culture trends change

'Jersey Shore,' Katy Perry among pop culture mainstays

Oh, how a year can change things, and in this past year, we’ve seen some of the biggest and best that pop culture has to offer. Some of the mightiest of celebrities have fallen, trends have changed and there’s new music you can’t seem to get out of your head. With the new school year quickly getting into gear, it’s time to take a stroll down memory lane and see how this year’s batch of pop culture measures up to the fall of 2010.

Celebrity Train Wreck

Then: Mel Gibson and Lindsay Lohan
Now: Charlie Sheen

When rumors began swirling that Charlie Sheen had locked a woman in the bathroom at the Plaza Hotel after an all-night cocaine binge where he caused thousands of dollars in damage to his room, we thought he was just having hard time. When he was interviewed on ABC’s “20/20,” creating a slew of trademark one-liners such as “I’m not bipolar; I’m bi-winning” and “Dying is for fools” that would adorn T-shirts and coffee mugs for years to come, we thought he just wanted the attention. But when the “Two and a Half Men” star launched his “Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat Is Not an Option” tour, we knew he’d really lost it.

Most Anticipated Television Show

Then: “Jersey Shore”
Now: “Jersey Shore”

OK, so some things never change. Now in its fourth season, the “Jersey Shore” eight have packed up their hair gel and grenade whistles to take their fist-pumping across the seas to Italy. Sure, only a few episodes have aired so far, but it’s already obvious that this season is sure to be one of the juiciest, fully stocked with fists flying, tears streaming and plenty of international smushing. It’s crazy and it’s cheesy, but it’s like a train wreck you just can’t turn away from. If anything, tune into just to see The Situation get knocked unconscious by Xenadrine-hawking Ronnie. Italy’s not going to know what hit it.

Song Stuck in Your Head

Then: “California Gurls” by Katy Perry, “I Like It” by Enrique Iglesias
Now: “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO, “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” by Katy Perry

This is a definite tie. Although Mrs. Russell Brand has clearly topped the charts both years with her sugary pop confections about being a girl from the Golden Coast and all the wicked things she does on a Friday night, the sultry swaying Iglesias and those two guys with the crazy afros were not far behind with their booty shaking dance cuts. Either way, any one of these songs were getting parties started all across the world and running through our heads night and day.

NCAA Baseball Champions

Then: USC Gamecocks
Now: USC Gamecocks

Some said a back-to-back National Championship could not be done. But the loyal Gamecocks knew better. Columbia has since exploded with Gamecock pride. Victory has never tasted sweeter, and it looks like a bright future for USC’s baseball team. Anyone up for a threepeat?