Green Quad offers new "Inner Mastery" course

Initiative teaches mindfulness, self-management 

Students taking UNIV 290F are probably the most relaxed college students around — and if not, they will be. This course, officially titled Inner Mastery for Resilience, Creativity and Life Balance, teaches students to be present and aware in all aspects of life. It is part of West (Green) Quad Learning Center’s initiative to “Green the Mind,” and is offered this fall on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

With practices rooted in modern science and ancient teachings, UNIV 290F combines lessons of yogic science, mindfulness meditation and neurobiology. Diane Barnes, a graduate from the University of Massachusetts Medical School, instructs the course.

Barnes originally developed the yoga physical education program at USC, but wanted a course that focused less on movement and more on the science and inner consciousness of the practice.

“We never have the same moment twice,” Barnes said at the start of class. “So we want to learn to live in the now and practice being aware of being aware.”

She then had students do a sitting exercise where they concentrated on breathing and listening. As she chimed a brass bowl, Barnes explained the importance of “withdrawing the senses in order to listen to listening.”

Walking around the room barefoot, Barnes’ whimsical voice and calming exercises visibly helped students unwind.

“I definitely need to relax,” said Richard Wheeler, a fourth-year biology student. “I’m a bag of nerves. I’m always so nervous about classes and everything else, so I think taking this class and learning to relax will help me do assignments better.”

First-year environmental science student Melissa Blake agreed.

“You can never not need relaxation,” Blake said.

Others like second-year political science student James Bentley Armstrong III, are taking the course with a larger outlook in mind.

“I like being able to have control over how I live my life and being effective,” Armstrong said. “If everyone becomes more effective and aware, then we will have a more effective and aware society. So this is way more than taking a yoga class.”

While the class does include some yoga stretches and philosophy, its focus is “the Mind” — not the part of your brain that deals with functioning, but rather, the regulator of energy and intellectual awareness.

Students are encouraged to do various practices to increase their awareness and mindfulness, like taking three minutes each day to meditate, going on walks without a destination and taking the time to truly taste and enjoy their food.

“We want to practice being steady and happy,” Barnes said while the students lay in relaxation poses on the ground. “Finding your Self and being present is the greatest gift.”