In our opinion: Inner mastery course benefits university

South Carolina is often the last place one can find progressive thinking. Proud as we may be of our state and our university, neither usually opens itself to alternative approaches — in education or politics.

Courses like Diane Barnes' new Inner Mastery class, where students explore the intricate, mystical nature of yogic science in hopes of finding self-affirming paths to relaxation, come as such a refreshing surprise.

Its very existence, alongside professor Mathieu Deflem's Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame course, is a testament to the fact that our university is opening itself to alternative ways of thought.

Many will see this as some easy "A," a filler class for those schedules already formed around lunch breaks, nap breaks, workouts, etc.

We at The Daily Gamecock want critics to reconsider. It is truly exceptional that our university can find a place for courses like Barnes'. They do more than help us excel in our careers; they prepare us with practices that enrich our lives.

And to all those complaining about the nontraditional nature of some university courses today, we offer this simple suggestion: If you don't like it, don't take it. The old argument of "not wanting our tax dollars to pay for this-or-that" also rings a little hollow, what with state funding at USC dried up to barely a trickle.
Despite all the challenges our school faces, the opportunities for new classes and new innovations still present themselves and still find powerful ways to transform the USC community.