Movies to watch for in Fall 2011

Sequels top list of must-see releases from August to November

1. “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1”

The love triangle within the “Twilight” films served as a central element in the entire series. Now that Bella has chosen her love, any event that occurs afterward will only serve as an unnecessary extension to the saga. However, this is just my opinion as a non-“Twilight” fanatic. Apparently, the final chapter will follow Bella and Edward’s life during their marriage and how their unborn child poses a threat to the vampire families. “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn” pulled a “Harry Potter” and has been divided into two films. “Part 1” opens Nov. 18.

2. “The Three Musketeers

This version of “The Three Musketeers” story will be a steampunk-influenced version of the Alexandre Dumas novel. Shot in 3-D, the movie seems to boast massively choreographed sword fighting and gun battles. “The Three Musketeers” also looks to be well over the top, as are most Paul W.S. Anderson movies. In theaters Oct. 21. 

3. “The Debt”

The last memorable film that John Madden (no, not the former Oakland Raiders coach) directed was “Shakespeare in Love,” which won Best Picture in 1998. His latest film promises to be not only memorable but also riveting with a noteworthy group of screenwriters and an established cast. “The Debt” is an espionage thriller following a trio of Mossad agents who pursue a Nazi war criminal from one of their World War II missions. Opens Aug. 31. 

4. “Real Steel”

Skepticism toward this film centers upon Hugh Jackman’s recent track of disappointing films and director Shawn Levy’s comfort zone with comedy films. Then again, Levy has yet to direct a decent comedy (with the exception of “Date Night” (2010)), so maybe a change in genre will help his career. The movie takes place 10 years in the future where human boxing has been dubbed illegal, and robots fight in their place. In theaters Oct. 7.

5. “Apollo 18”

In the early 1970s, NASA canceled planned Apollo missions 18, 19 and 20 due to budgetary constraints. This historical event serves as the basis for the documentary-style horror film “Apollo 18,” which reveals the “real reason” why NASA never attempted to return to the moon. The entire film consists of supposed “found footage” of horrific events that occurred during a fictional Apollo 18 mission to the moon. In theaters Sept. 2.

6. “Contagion”

Director Steven Soderbergh and Matt Damon’s experience working together and its all-star cast might help “Contagion” draw a crowd. In the movie, disaster strikes as a fast-moving lethal virus strikes population centers around the world. The story sounds vaguely familiar, but a few plot points may provide “Contagion” with some originality. Opens Sept. 9.

7. “Footloose”

From what “High School Musical” (2006) and the 2009 remake of “Fame” have taught us, casting a group of young actors for their dancing talent over their acting doesn’t work. Because of this, skepticism toward this remake of “Footloose” is understandable. Its theme of rebelliousness may be appealing to this “High School Musical” generation, but it’s difficult to see how this remake will be worth watching when the original was just mediocre. In theaters Oct. 14.

8. “Moneyball”

In the past, baseball movies have presented stories of underdog determination and the spirit of the game. “Moneyball” may be another underdog story, but it also revolves around a subject others haven’t: baseball economics. The movie is based on the true story of Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics who assembled a competitive baseball team at the fraction of the cost of large market teams. Opens in Sept. 23.

9. “Happy Feet 2”

Animated films to look for this fall include the “Shrek” spin-off “Puss in Boots” and the unlikely sequel “Happy Feet 2.” This toe-tapping sequel already promises to feature its own share of catchy musical numbers, but it is difficult to predict what politics the story might follow (my guess is global warming). Part of the original cast, including Elijah Wood and Robin Williams, will return with additional new voices actors like Brad Pitt and Matt Damon. “Happy Feet 2” dances into theaters Nov. 18 in 3-D.

10. “Abduction”

Back in 2009, Taylor Lautner hosted “Saturday Night Live” and showed off his martial arts skills during his opening monologue. Upon viewing this, one can’t help but think, “Wow, he could be a good action star.” Hopefully, “Abduction” will make effective use of Lautner’s martial arts background. Lautner plays a teenager who finds his baby picture on a missing person’s website and gets hunted by trained assassins. Opens Sept. 23.