New businesses open over break

Mast Store, Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse come to Main Street

As yet another hot South Carolina summer rolled by, four new businesses were added to Columbia’s marketplace. From coffee to previously owned clothing, we recap the new offerings from new Columbia shops.

Drip Coffee

With a handwritten menu that includes freshly squeezed “lemonaide,” Italian cream soda and a sourdough sandwich that includes prosciutto, freshly sliced peaches and sheep’s milk ricotta, Drip is certainly not Starbucks. Officially opened on June 13, the locally owned shop is not the first from Sean McCrossin, who owned the popular City Lights Coffee in Charleston prior to relocating to Columbia.

Offering free Wi-Fi and a relaxed, old-school artsy type of feel, the shop is based on the “drip” technique for brewing its coffee. More akin to methods used in most homes than those seen in Starbucks, the method is just another component that supplies the space with a bit of personality.

Additional personality comes by way of its homemade baked goods.

“We bake our own scones, muffins and cookies. Our cakes are made by my mother, and we get most of our other things locally,” McCrossin said.

With a menu that spans alcoholic beverages from beer and wine — like moretti la rossa and tormaresca neprica, respectively — to fruit bowls, baked goods and a variety of lunch and breakfast sandwiches, Drip Coffee has something for everyone and even though it’s young, has already made an impression.

Drip, located at 729 Saluda Ave., is open on Sundays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Mondays through Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Mast Store

“It’s a fun store, really laid back,” said third-year business management student Ian Rose of his employer, the newly opened Mast Store.

The store, which opened on May 25, is another business that opened in Columbia this summer — one of two — on Main Street.

Set at 1601 Main St., the general store is housed in a building that was restored to its 1927 condition, specifically for the business. The comfortable, “old-fashioned” and vintage feeling is carried through the building’s architecture, as well as decorations that dot the high freeze ceiling and even into the stocklists. One major draw for customers is the cache of more than 500 different types of old-fashioned candies to be bought by the pound.

In addition to candy, the store sells what it describes as “lifestyle clothing.” With brands like Patagonia, North Face and Choko as well as a variety of printed tees that include Gamecock apparel, comfort is key for Mast as well as getting integrated into the community.

“We are always trying to stay involved with the community that’s been so gracious to have us here,” said manager and USC alumnus Walt Gerald.

Since opening, the store has already hosted events having to do with the outdoors and contributed to the popular First Thursdays

Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse

The second business to open on Main Street this summer was Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse. One of the most recent to open, Cowboy occupies the Kress building at 1508 Main St. across from the Columbia Museum of Art, where Gotham Bagel Cafe was previously housed.

Modeled after Myrtle Beach’s Gauchao Brazilian Steakhouse, the restaurant serves lunch and dinner.

With a 30-item salad bar that includes pasta salad, apple salad, fresh shrimp, smoked salad and Brazilian-style potato salad, the establishment is all you can eat.

For meats, servers roam the floor with spits of freshly cooked meats, going from table to table serving diners. There are 16 different cuts of meat offered, including the house special picanha, lamb chops, filet mignon, flank steak and Brazilian pork sausage. Requests can be made, and servers quickly begin to learn what diners like and tailor their offerings accordingly.

Lunch, which is served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Saturday, is $25 a person, and dinner, from 4 to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 4 to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and noon until 9 p.m. on Sundays is $30 a person. 

Double Takes

Located in the Vista on Lincoln Street, Double Takes is considered a “hybrid consignment” store, but the bulk of its wares are preworn, recycled clothing.

Started by William Starrett, the executive and artistic director of Columbia City Ballet, the store has only employed dancers so far.

“He made it a point to hire only dancers during the summer to help us with the off season,” Philip Ingrassias, an employee.

Clothing ranges in price from $3.99 for a simple woman’s blouse to formal dresses that can go up to $100.

For the men, most of the clothing is casual to business casual while there are a variety of styles for women.

Double Takes is open from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. On Sundays the store is open from noon until 5 p.m.