Obama, Lebron on parallel, failing tracks

Two young idols no longer living up to expectations, hype

Coming off a rousing keynote address at the DNC, Barack Obama was elected an Illinois Senator with the greatest margin of victory in U.S. Senate history. He was receiving hundreds of speaking invitations and graced the cover of Newsweek as "Who's Next" only a month after his senatorial election.

Meanwhile, LeBron James came into the league as arguably the most hyped high school player in NBA history. LeBron's Sports Illustrated covered proclaimed him "The Chosen One." The unprecedented combination of size, strength and athleticism crossed with the desire to be a global icon was otherworldly for a 17 year old.

Barack Obama possessed limitless potential, was a great speaker and he seemed destined for greatness, but ask James and he'll reveal destinies don't always work out. James was peaking. His defining performance occurred during the 2007 East Finals. He scored 29 of 30 points to beat the Pistons in game 5 en route to his first NBA Final appearance. He then received two MVP awards with the Cavaliers, but James' seasons always ended in defeat.

President Obama has pulled off significant accomplishments. He's repealed "don't ask, don't tell," played a key role in killing Osama bin Laden and passed health care reform. Enormous accomplishments, but in all professions it's about delivering in the moment. James and Obama have each failed in the moment.

James didn't show up in the fourth quarter against the Celtics in the 2010 playoffs, he accepted he could not win titles without other superstars and he bolted to Miami. After proclaiming, "not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven" championships during his Heat welcoming party he proceeded to choke in the 2011 NBA Finals.

When faced with adversity from tea partyers and vocal Republican leadership, President Obama has similarly failed. He compromised much more than he said he would when reaching the new budget agreement. Obama has always claimed to be a president of the working class, but he has failed to deliver legislation for its betterment. Great leadership comes down to reacting in times of adversity. The Chosen One and The President have each failed to deliver on postgame and campaign promises of triumph, leadership and victory.

Obama did what people do in campaigns, he excited people, but he spoke unrealistically of his capabilities. The two stars 20 years from now will be looked at as good in their fields, but they can't and won't be great, they've proven they're not capable.