Part-time job fair offers opportunities to USC students

Students swarm the Russell House in order to find a part-time job

Nearly 900 students snaked through the Russell House during Tuesday’s annual part-time job fair, chatting with 36 different employers hiring for dozens of positions.

The fair, hosted by USC’s Career Center and the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, linked students with traditional jobs and work-study positions both on and off campus. Wachovia, Target and Gardner Publications were just a few of the off-campus employers in attendance, while on-campus employers included the Thomas Cooper Library, Campus Recreation and the Academic Enrichment Center.

First-year psychology student Justin Lambert attended the fair looking for a job to make extra money to pay for food and residence hall room needs.

“I’ve applied to six places already; it makes going out and looking for a job a lot easier,” Lambert said.

Mike Murdock, a second-year advertising student, echoed Lambert’s sentiments.

“I found the fair very helpful; I plan on using the Career Center and its resources throughout my years at USC,” second-year advertising student Mike Murdock said. “I plan to continue coming to the events they host.”

The Career Center will be hosting a Career Fest and a Science, Engineering and Technology Fair on Sept. 28. The Career Fest will give students the opportunity to meet employers hiring for nontechnical internships, co-op and full-time positions, while the S.E.T. Fair will recruit for technical positions. The

Career Center provides many resources to students and alumni beyond hosting job fairs. It provides on-call counselors Monday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. where students can drop in and receive resume and cover letter critiques.

The Career Center also offers small group counseling and workshops. Small group counseling helps students in deciding a major, as well as in searching for internships and jobs. Workshops vary in topics such as career fair preparation, resume writing, interviewing and graduate school preparation.

More information concerning events as well as access to online resources for students can be found at .sc.edu/career. Students can also visit the center at either of two locations in the H. William Close Building or in the Swearingen Engineering Center.