Two-A-Days: Vanderbilt

New coach James Franklin has high aspirations

USC vs. VANDERBILT COMMODORES on 9/24
Coach:
James Franklin (first season at VU)
Last Season: 2-10 (1-7 SEC)
Last Meeting with USC: 2010 (USC 21-7)
All-Time Series vs. USC: Gamecocks lead 16-4

The big story out of Nashville is new head coach James Franklin, who looks to revive Vanderbilt football after a disappointing 2010 campaign when the Commodores had the worst record in the SEC East.

Returning all 11 starters on offense, Vandy has a lot to be optimistic about. Its veteran team seems to be buying into Franklin's message.

"One of his first statements was he doesn't want to spend two or three years building the program to compete," said cornerback Casey Hayward at SEC Media Days. "We have enough players to compete now. I think he's (Franklin is) right; we have a lot of returning starters on offense and defense. I feel like we can surprise a lot of people; not surprise ourselves because we know what we're capable of."

Offense: Quarterback Larry Smith has been the starter for Vanderbilt since the Commodores won the Music City Bowl in 2008 and figures to be under center again this season. Smith has continued to improve over the years, setting single-season career highs last season with 117 completions, 1,262 passing yards, six touchdown passes, 248 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns.

With John Donovan taking over as offensive coordinator, it will be interesting to see how Smith handles the changes.

"The fans are going to see a little bit of everything," Smith said. "The versatility of the offense is the main thing they're going to like, with the different personnel groupings and the different formations we have. It will allow us to do some things and put defenses in a bind."

No doubt the Commodores have depth issues. Vandy had trouble with injuries last season, with no suitable personnel to fill in for the missing starters. The offensive line was also a weakness for Vandy as running backs Warren Norman and Zac Stacy struggled to get into the defense's second level and Smith was often pressured into mistakes. Offensive line coach Herb Hand is the only coach to stay on from last year.

Brandon Barden, a senior tight end, is the only offensive player to be named to the preseason All-SEC team.

Defense: The defense returns all but three starters, including leaders Hayward and linebacker Chris Marve, both preseason selections to the All-SEC team. Coming off a year hampered by injury, Marve looks to cap off his career at Vandy on a high note. He enters the season as the conference's active leader in tackles, finishing with 80 last season despite the injuries.

"When he talks, our team listens," said Franklin of Marve. "Right away he has instant credibility with our players because of how he's handled himself, because of what he does."

Hayward looks to be a factor in defending against the stout SEC running games this season as he finished with 70 tackles in 2010 to go along with his six interceptions.

According to Hayward, Franklin is focusing on more than just improving the physical fundamentals of the team.

"Coach Franklin's main thing is a lot of confidence," Hayward said. "If you don't have any confidence, you aren't going to play with confidence and you're losing off the bat. I feel like that's what he's brought to the program, is confidence."

Special teams: Warren Norman returns as the kickoff return specialist. The junior has a 25.9-yard average for returns, including three returns for touchdowns. With Ryan Fowler having a disappointing 2010 season as the placekicker, hitting just eight of 13 attempts, he is fending off competition from sophomore Carey Spear, though Fowler appears to still have the edge heading into the season.

Schedule analysis: The Commodores open against Elon, which should prove as a confidence boost for the team before playing defending Big East co-champion UConn. Vandy travels to South Carolina and Alabama, though it has the good fortune of a bye week before traveling to Alabama. Playing USC, Bama, Florida and Tennessee on the road will not bode well for Vandy, though it will be able to take on Georgia and Arkansas at home.

The final word: "As a fifth-year senior, I felt like it was my job to buy into the program and Coach Franklin so that the younger guys would as well; and from day one, I did. Coach Franklin had my respect from the moment I met him and shook his hand." — Marve

PREVIOUS TWO-A-DAYS ENTRIES
LSU
Ole Miss
Alabama
East Carolina
Georgia
Navy