University creates full-time position for LGBT coordinator

SG resolution prompts new job

The Office of Multicultural Affairs is looking to hire a coordinator who will reach out to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning students on campus.

The office just offered the position of coordinator for LGBT Programs.

There was a resolution passed by Student Senate for the establishment of a resource center for LGBT students at USC in February 2011. The resolution, combined with a November 2010 benchmark study lead by a graduate assistant, gave the administration motive to find funds to create the position, said Rodrick Moore, director of USC’s Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.

Some of the coordinator’s responsibilities will include leading and developing programs and services for LGBT students, advising in the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Straight Alliance (BGLSA), serving as the Safe Zone program adviser for the Office of Multicultural Affairs and conducting workshops on LGBT issues.

The salary is $31,787 with full state benefits. Minimum qualifications are a master’s degree in student affairs administration plus one year of related experience, or a bachelor’s degree with three years of related experience.
Moore said that they are still looking through applications and aim to hire someone soon.

“My goal is to have someone on board before the fall semester ends,” Moore said. “It’s important to have a full staff in place before the semester ends.”

LGBT Programs Graduate Assistant Drew Newton added that the position is important because it provides increased visibility.

“Over the years, we’ve had a graduate assistant who has certainly provided visibility and support, but this creates better continuity,” Newton said.
“When we have better continuity, we can better see our programs grow and improve, we can better focus on recruitment and retention and we can provide more sustainable support not only to individuals but also to residence halls,” he said.

Zac Baker, third-year visual communications student and BGLSA’s vice president, said that creating this position is “a smart move.”

“The LGBT programs combine Safe Zone and BGLSA. It groups all resources into one area,” Baker said.

Those interested in applying may do so via the USC employment system at uscjobs.sc.edu. Search for requisition number 003800.