Cycle for the Summit duo plans to leave Sunday

Alumni to hold Statehouse celebration

Brent McCauley and Michael Hunter admit they are crazy.

It says so on the back of their shirts: "Two crazy guys on bicycles, 25,000 miles, highest point in every state, $50,000 for charity."

In August, The Daily Gamecock met with Hunter, a 2011 USC graduate in marketing and global supply chain and process management, and McCauley, who graduated in 2011 with a master's degree in education, to discuss their decision to undertake a 25,000-mile journey to the geographic high point of all 50 states.

The two plan to bike, hike and sail their way around the country in an attempt to raise $50,000 for Big City Mountaineers, an organization that provides wilderness experiences to underprivileged urban youth. And, after months of planning and fundraising, Hunter and McCauley are ready to hit the road this Sunday, Sept. 11.

But first, they're going to party — and everyone's invited.

On Friday, the duo will kick things off with a meet and greet at Cool Beans from 5:30 to 8 p.m., followed by a silent auction and live music by Michael Kenney.

Saturday's events include a 9 a.m. leisure ride, meeting on the steps of the Statehouse facing Gervais, a competition bike race at 5 p.m. — hitting all the hills in Columbia — and a follow-up concert. Registration for the race starts at 4 p.m. at Bey's on Harden Street. The cost is $5.

On Sunday, Hunter and McCauley will privately say goodbye to friends and loved ones before taking off on a year-and-a-half mission to explore the country.

Obviously, these guys are on the cusp of one great big adventure, but where did it all begin?

"We've always enjoyed being outside hiking, biking and climbing," Hunter said. "Sometimes, around a campfire, you can come up with some crazy ideas," McCauley added. "Like, 'hey, let's go climb the highest point in every state!'"

The fantasy didn't start becoming a reality until February of last year, however, when Hunter's enthusiasm for the idea drove him to action. Originally, it was Hunter alone who was going to take on the trek, with McCauley offering support from the side.

"I told him (Hunter), 'I can't do it. I gotta put on my big boy pants and get a job,'" McCauley said. "But about a week before graduation, I decided, you know what? I'm doing it. So I called up Michael and said, 'I'm in."'

Although the two were never serious cyclists, they both began training immediately.

"I got involved with group rides all around Columbia, and I learned so much from that," McCauley said. "So while I bring the bike maintenance and the bike experience, Michael brings the mountaineering expertise."

Hunter, a graduate of the National Outdoor Leadership School and a certified first responder, is definitely a valuable asset to the team. And, their comparable personalities make for added team chemistry.

"Brent likes to talk; he'll talk to a wall. I'm much quieter," Hunter explained.

"We've agreed to immediately bring up any issues if we start getting sick of each other though," McCauley said, in reference to the two being alone together for the majority of the trip.

"We're going to be closer than an old married couple," Hunter added with a laugh.

While Hunter and McCauley are all smiles going into their big send-off weekend, they do have some lingering sources of stress. Money is the big one.

"Financially we are in a comfortable place right now, but we still need money to keep ourselves along," McCauley said. "We want to be able to eat, and we want to get money for our charity too."

The team also needs to decide exactly how they are going to sail from California to Hawaii.

"That's over a year from now, so I'm not too worried, but we do need to find someone to make that happen," Hunter said.

Minor problems aside, the two are extremely excited for what lies ahead.
McCauley, who has traveled extensively abroad, has never been to New England or west of the continental divide.

"I'm excited to see the places and meet the people and see how amazing mankind can be," said McCauley. "Everyone always wants to go to Europe and these other places, but the U.S. is big and cool too."

Follow Hunter and McCauley every step of the way via Twitter, their blog and Facebook. Check out their website www.cycleforthesummit.com for the links as well as a map showing their route and current location.